[Imc] Draft of text for <http://www.ucimc.org/mediation.html> (fwd)

Paul Riismandel p-riism at uiuc.edu
Wed Jul 31 15:39:21 UTC 2002

I want to thank Paul for writing this mediation proposal.  I appreciate
the reframing of a person-in-conflict not as someone causing trouble but
as someone who can help find a path for improvement and advancement.
 Overall I think this proposal looks very good and only have a small
concern -- I apologize for not bringing it  up earlier.

I am concerned by the role of Advocate being someone who stands in
someone's place at a meeting.  While I understand that there may be that
need at some point, I think the Advocate needs to be construed more
broadly.

One of the goals of a non-hierarchical, open organization is that people
are not represented, but represent themselves. While the IMC has a
spokescouncil in its Steering Group, this group is not a group of
representatives.  The difference is that in a group of representatives,
all power (power to propose, power to vote) resides exclusively with the
representatives -- you can't walk into the US Senate and demand the
floor and vote.  This is not true with any IMC working group, including
steering.  Anyone may submit an agenda item, proposal and participate in
all levels of decision making.  The Steering spokes only stand to define
a minimum constituency, to ensure that no working group is left out.

I fear that having an advocate who speaks FOR someone, essentially
REPRESENTING her, dilutes, and possibly undermines this.

Instead, I would like to see the Advocate be someone who ASSISTS a
person-in-conflict in having her/his concerns fairly addressed at a
meeting. This person's role would be to see that the concern is properly
placed on an agenda and properly given the time it deserves to be
discussed and deliberated upon.

The Advocate should accompany a person-in-conflict to a meeting in order
to provide both support and guidance, to help guard the person's own
interests, and help that person guard her own.  Because we can all get
caught up in tense situations, that Advocate's role might also include
advising the person-in-conflict to calm down, to take a moment to
reflect, or even advise to accept a compromise.

The outcome of conflict mediation must be deliberated consensus.  In
order for this to happen the person-in-conflict must be an active
participant in the deliberation and consenting upon a solution.  I think
it is difficult for this to happen by proxy.

That said, I do think that there can be situations where the Advocate
should stand in for someone -- in cases where hostilities are running
high, or where some significant threats to the person-in-conflict exist.
 But I think and hope that these situations would be extremely rare.

I'd like to submit this revised Advocate role as a friendly amendment to
Paul's Mediation proposal.
I suggest language to replace this portion: "An "ADVOCATE" is someone
who attends meetings as your proxy, voicing concerns and proposals on
your behalf."

My revised language is:
"An ADVOCATE is someone who will assist you in having your concerns
fairly and properly addressed and considered at an IMC meeting.  An
ADVOCATE will ensure that your concerns are added to a meeting agenda
and given the proper amount of time for discussion and deliberation. An
ADVOCATE will attend the meeting with you to provide support and
guidance in airing your concerns, voicing your proposals and finding
consensus in solutions.

In the event of an extremely difficult conflict an ADVOCATE may attend a
meeting on your behalf, as your proxy.  You may empower that ADVOCATE to
act on your behalf in raising concerns and reaching a consensus
solution.  Because an ADVOCATE cannot represent you and your concerns as
well as you can, it is strongly advised that an ADVOCATE be your proxy
only when attending a meeting yourself will cause signficant difficulty
and distress to yourself and/or others."

Thanks,

Paul