[Imc] Offensive Post

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 6 04:14:58 UTC 2002

We have had a complaint, posted as a comment, from a UCIMC website user
about this post:
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5819&group=webcast .

This was apaprently posted by someone who has been a repetitive poster
of flame-baiting amterial of different kinds in the last few weeks on
the website. Their posts are usually characterized by the use of all
caps, a very limited command of grammar and spelling, and a general
attitude that seems to imply a lack of concern for the feelings of
others. Certainly today's posting falls into this category. Although the
same person uses a variety of names, he has most frequently identified
as "DANNY".

I referred the complainant to our website use policy. There really isn't
much that can be done about a single post of this nature. However, we do
have provisions that deal with repeated behavior of this kind. Although
a number of different pseudonymns are used, the posts all share the
traits I mentioned above, making them rather obviously the work of one
person.

I personally find this to be a repugnant and pointless post, but am
leery to let my personal feelings stretch to accomodate hiding this post
without a more collective judgement about it. What do others think?
Should it be hidden? Should we pursue a more general ban on this person,
due to the observed pattern of behavior?
Mike Lehman