[Imc] steering and quorum

Paul Riismandel p-riism at uiuc.edu
Tue Jun 11 20:27:17 UTC 2002

I think groups going on hiatus is a fine idea, with one modification. I
think that if there is going to be 1-3 spokes missing on a regular basis
for the Summer months then the steering group should place some limits on
the decisions it will tackle.

For example, I think such a minimal steering group shouldn't be allocating
large sums of money, authorizing large projects or otherwise taking on big
endeavors.  However, it must be able to deal with emergency issues that
might involve spending money (even big amounts) or dealing with legal,
personnel or other problems.

The principle I'm getting at is: let's maintain, not extend.

That said, I would also like to see all groups make effort to replace
spokes who may go on hiatus.  This is more problematic for small groups
like librarians than it should be for larger groups like News or public i
.  Decisions have to be made and while it may seem like a burden it'll be
an even bigger burden if only 3 people are essentially running the IMC.  We
don't want to create a type of plutocracy or meritocracy.

I kind of see serving on the steering group for a time to be a civic duty
for those who have any sort of investment in the IMC.  The more people
avoid it, the worse it seems (and it gets).

Thoughts?

--Paul