[Imc] Microphone Repair addendum from Paul K.

Brian Hagy bhagy at urbana.indymedia.org
Mon Jun 17 16:35:41 UTC 2002

Actually, Mike, Tech did receive an email from paul a while back in which
he gave us a couple numbers that he was thinking would be the estimate,
because he wasn't given exact numbers for repair, just rough "sight
unseen" numbers.  we've been waiting for confirmation of those numbers,
which is probably where the lines o' communication became garbled.
However, the tech group was surprised to learn that the microphones had
been already sent off for repairs without an agreement being made prior.
Repairing one of the microphones turns out to be more expensive than just
buying a new one, which had we had confirmed estimates, then we would have
offered to help buy a new one. The tech group which focuses on a/v stuff
meets every other wednesday (usually 2nd and 4th wednesdays), at 6 pm, so
it's not surprising that communication might be slow if it's only via email.

and paul, the fiasco from russel's equipment was due to the wiring not
being setup properly, and thus i'm not sure it's fair to point the finger
at us for the entirety of that problem, since you were the one who set it
up.

the tech group had agreed some time ago to pay up to half of the costs
(which is more than what we've paid for broken equipment...usually in the
past when somebody broke something, they we're responsible for repairing
it), that is if the estimates were reasonable and we had the money in our
budget.  In light of this incident, we're drafting up a policy in which
the imc will cover half, and the person who broke the equipment will pay half.
In this case, we don't know who broke the equipment, though it's been
reported that one of the mikes (the silver one) is known who broke it.
but since they weren't repaired right away (no one knew they were broke,
or at least no one around here), we feel it's fair to implement this new
policy now (even before it's written), so that we try to be as fair as
possible to everyone.  the imc has been running a deficit for many months
now.  due to this, we can't really afford anything more than this, in
spite of desires from many people.  of course, if someone wants to do some
fundraising to help out with costs of repair, that would be great.  we've
tried other means of generating income to cover repair costs (late
charges, but people got pissed off at receiving fines; donations, but
people felt that took donations away from other projects; and so on), so
if anyone has any ideas on repair cost funding, please let the tech group
know.  we are well open for suggestion (it's not an easy problem to solve
in a deficit situation).

paul, let us know the total repair costs and we'll get you a check for
half that, thanks.

sascha, if you're monitoring this, get the checkbook ready!  thanks.

brian