[Imc] New Space Coordinator

Clint Popetz cpopetz at cpopetz.com
Tue Jun 25 00:30:28 UTC 2002

This is the 37th time I have spoken to you from this office, where so
many decisions have been made that shaped the history of this IMC.
Each time I have done so to discuss with you some matter that I
believe affected the interests of the IMC.

In all the decisions I have made in my public life, I have always
tried to do what was best for the IMC. Throughout this long and
difficult period, I have felt it was my duty to preserve,
to make every possible effort to complete the term of office.

In the past few days, however, it has become evident to me that I no
longer have a strong enough political base in the space committee to
justify continuing that effort. As long as there was such a base, I
felt strongly that it was necessary to see the process through to its
conclusion, that to do otherwise would be unfaithful to the spirit of
that deliberately difficult process and a dangerously destabilizing
precedent for the future.

I would have preferred to carry through to the finish whatever the
personal agony it would have involved, and my family unanimously urged
me to do so. But the interest of the IMC must always come before
any personal considerations.

I have never been a quitter. To leave office before my term is
completed is abhorrent to every instinct in my body. But as space
coordinator, I must put the interest of the IMC first. IMCstas need a
full-time space coordinator and a full-time steering committee,
particularly at this time with problems we face at home and abroad.

Therefore, I shall resign the space coordinator residency effective at
noon tomorrow.  Zach Miller will be sworn in as space coordinator at
that hour in this office.

In passing this office to Zach, I also do so with the profound sense
of the weight of responsibility that will fall on his shoulders
tomorrow and therefore, of the understanding, the patience, the
cooperation he will need from all IMCistas.

As he assumes that responsibility, he will deserve the help and the
support of all of us. As we look to the future, the first essential is
to begin healing the wounds of this IMC, to put the bitterness and
divisions of the recent past behind us, and to rediscover those shared
ideals that lie at the heart of our strength and unity as a great and
as a free people.

By taking this action, I hope that I will have hastened the start of
that process of healing which is so desperately needed at the IMC.

				-Clint

P.S.  I AM NOT A CROOK!!