[Imc] Re: [Imc-booking] New Space Coordinator

Zachary C. Miller wolfgang at wolfgang.groogroo.com
Tue Jun 25 02:35:55 UTC 2002

There are no historic or legal precedents to which I can turn in this
matter, none that precisely fit the circumstances of a private citizen
who has resigned the space coordinatorship of the IMC. But it is
common knowledge that serious allegations and accusations hang like a
sword over our former coordinator's head, threatening his health as he
tries to reshape his life, a great part of which was spent in the
service of this IMC and by the mandate of its members.

After years of bitter controversy and divisive centerwide debate, I
have been advised, and I am compelled to conclude that many months and
perhaps more years will have to pass before Clinton Popetz could
obtain a fair trial by jury in any working group of the IMC.

The facts, as I see them, are that a former space coordinator of the
IMC, instead of enjoying equal treatment with any other IMCista
accused of violating process, would be cruelly and excessively
penalized either in preserving the presumption of his innocence or in
obtaining a speedy determination of his guilt in order to repay a
legal debt to the group.

During this long period of delay and potential litigation, ugly
passions would again be aroused. And our people would again be
polarized in their opinions. And the credibility of our committees
would again be challenged at home and abroad.

But it is not the ultimate fate of Clinton Popetz that most concerns
me, though surely it deeply troubles every decent, and every
compassionate person. My concern is the immediate future of this great
IMC.

In this, I dare not depend upon my personal sympathy as a long-time
friend of the former coordinator, nor my professional judgment as a
anarchist, and I do not.

As coordinator, my primary concern must always be the greatest good of
all the people of the IMC whose servant I am. As a human, my first
consideration is to be true to my own convictions and my own
conscience.

Finally, I feel that Clinton Popetz and his loved ones have suffered
enough and will continue to suffer, no matter what I do, no matter
what we, as a great and good nation, can do together to make his goal
of peace come true.

Now, therefore, I, Zachary Miller, Coordinator of Space at the IMC,
pursuant to the pardon power conferred upon me by Article II, Section
2, of our structure document, have granted and by these presents do
grant a full, free, and absolute pardon unto Clinton Popetz for all
offenses against the UCIMC which he, Clinton Popetz, has committed or
may have committed or taken part in.

P.S. The political lesson of Clintgate is this: Never again must the
IMC allow an arrogant, elite guard of political adolescents to by-pass
the regular party organization and dictate the terms of a national
election.