[Imc] Re: IMC Swiss site letter

Paul Riismandel p-riism at uiuc.edu
Sun Mar 3 17:19:36 UTC 2002

Thanks for clueing me in, David.  Nonetheless I have some concerns with it.
Primarily, I have concerns with the fact that it is written to represent
the entire IMC, which as I noted in my first e-mail, is not really
possible, nor proper.  Secondly, the full message of the letter is not what
I understood us to be communicating from what we agreed upon at last
Steering meeting.  All I understood the letter to address was solidarity
with the Swiss IMC, and so all the additional commentary is not something
I, as a member of steering, consented to.

These concerns are not necessarily addressed to you, David, since I don't
believe that you were at the last steering meeting, and were asked by
Sascha to write the letter, and so I can see how the specificity of what
was agreed upon at Steering might not have been clearly communicated to
you.  These concerns are addressed to everyone.

Fundamentally, the IMC is about giving people an avenue and venue to speak
for themselves.  It is antithetical to this mission for any subgroup of the
IMC to have the conceit or presume that it can speak for the IMC as a
whole, regardless the relative merit of the message.  In this case I'm
certain that any such presumption was accidental, but that does not change
the principle nor the perception of the letter outside our little IMC.  One
only needs to read the comments on the newswire to this letter to recognize
that it is not being received well by some in the IMC community.

I may be withdrawing my consent to this letter and I will bring this up at
today's Steering Meeting.

--Paul