[Imc] March 6 Meeting Notes

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 8 03:29:00 UTC 2002

In Attendance: Sascha, Mike L, Clint, Zach, Brian, Russ, Nancy

Staffing Report:
Russ says that shifts are covered, except for these:
Sundays: after 4pm
Monday: 4-5pm
Tuesday: 4-7pm
Please volunteer if you'd like to cover these slots.
Also, please return any keys that you are not using to Russ. You should
only have a key if you open/close the space, have reason for ongoing
afterhours access, or otherwise absolutely need a key. Thanks.

Security:
There have been some issues with the cash register (it has been moved to
behind, rather than pn top of the counter.) Staffers should be aware
when people enter the space. We hope to have a bell installed on the
front door soon, but you should not be complacent about people entering
the building. If you do have to be in back, please at least come up and
greet anyone who enters, so that they will both fel welcome and know
that people have noted their presence.

There will be some developments as far as the keysituation, with all
keys (door, register, etc) being placed on either a chunk 'o wood or a
very spiffy key ring that goes around the neck. We'll discuss the
options with a wider group of people at the next Steering group meeting.
What needs to be emphasized is that the keys will be in the possession
of the staffer on duty at all times. We are researching a safe place to
lock them up when they are NOT in possession of the staffer, i.e. a
safe.

We will keep staff posted on what develops with this and ask your
cooperation with its implementation.

CRAP:
There is too much crap for the IMC to accomodate all the crap that is
presently in the building. We intend to evaluate the crap situation, the
crap storage space, and the rules for what crap will allowed to hang
around the IMC in the time until the next Space meeting. We should be
moved into the grand ballroom by then and know what crap we have to deal
with.

We identified 4 principal varieties of crap:
Tech crap
Library crap
Kitchen crap
Wireless crap

If you have crap that has been building up at the IMC, you should
inquire as to its status with a member of the Space group. Because we
plan to cut the crap that has been sitting around the IMC for too long.
Spring cleaning time is almost here, so collect your crap or otherwise
account for it, if you want to see it again.

Remember, too much crap leads to constipation.

The Middle Hall:
Where a lot of the crap has been building up is in the area of the
kitchen and the work/storage area. We intend to turn this into a work
area and delineate it so that it is not seen as generally a public
access space. There will be space for the usual intake of library stuff
and some limited space for Tech stuff, along with WORK space that will
be intended to be free from crap (see previous) except when people
actually are WORKING on stuff.

We also intend to provide a space for an additional public terminal in
the middle/old back room, since this will be a good spot for one with
the grand ballroom opening.

Issues with the New Space:
Garbage, another form of crap, will probaly have to become something
that we have to pay for with the additional traffic in the building
expected from the grand ballroom. Maybe we can share the cost with the
the landlord or? since we now have easy access to the alley.

Theft:
We had a discussion. We believe that a proposal will be made about how
to resolve this, so it is on the agenda, so please attend the Steering
group meeting on Sunday if you want to be involved with the final
decsion on what is to be done about this.