[Imc] March 6 Meeting Notes

David Young dyoung at onthejob.net
Fri Mar 8 08:55:29 UTC 2002

As a member of the adhoc wireless group, I humbly thank the IMC for
use of its crap storage space.  We in the wireless group have eagerly
anticipated the opening of the back-back room, since its opening promises
to free space in the crap storage area, where we intend to consolidate
and organize our crap so that we can build from old crap, new crap,
in a compact and tidy Crap Synthesis Nook.

Patiently we have abided by the influx of new crap, and the piling of
that new crap on our old crap, because we figure all crap is equal,
because we freely admit to piling it higher and deeper ourselves,
and because we foresee the improvement of the crappy situation by the
aforementioned liberation of space in the crap storage area. Without
knowing what crap IMCistas have gone through because of the wireless
crap, I meekly ask your continued patience while we form, by hand,
our accreted crap into the Nook. It will not be much longer.

If the Space group has plans for the crap storage area different than,
or incompatible with, a Crap Synthesis Nook, or if the wireless group has
gone against the process or decision of the Space group, please let one
of the Crapineers in the wireless group know: e-mail dyoung at onthejob.net
or sascha at onthejob.net. Just for the Space group's information, I think
that the Nook will need no more than two Portapotty's-worth of space.

Now, a gratuitous plug for our group, CrapNet: our goal in CrapNet is
to spread crap into the community, at cost, for community members to
use with an inexpensive service for exchanging crap with one another
and the Internet. If you're into crap, won't you join us?

Dave

On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 09:29:00PM -0600, Mike Lehman wrote:
> In Attendance: Sascha, Mike L, Clint, Zach, Brian, Russ, Nancy
>
> Staffing Report:
> Russ says that shifts are covered, except for these:
> Sundays: after 4pm
> Monday: 4-5pm
> Tuesday: 4-7pm
> Please volunteer if you'd like to cover these slots.
> Also, please return any keys that you are not using to Russ. You should
> only have a key if you open/close the space, have reason for ongoing
> afterhours access, or otherwise absolutely need a key. Thanks.
>
> Security:
> There have been some issues with the cash register (it has been moved to
> behind, rather than pn top of the counter.) Staffers should be aware
> when people enter the space. We hope to have a bell installed on the
> front door soon, but you should not be complacent about people entering
> the building. If you do have to be in back, please at least come up and
> greet anyone who enters, so that they will both fel welcome and know
> that people have noted their presence.
>
> There will be some developments as far as the keysituation, with all
> keys (door, register, etc) being placed on either a chunk 'o wood or a
> very spiffy key ring that goes around the neck. We'll discuss the
> options with a wider group of people at the next Steering group meeting.
> What needs to be emphasized is that the keys will be in the possession
> of the staffer on duty at all times. We are researching a safe place to
> lock them up when they are NOT in possession of the staffer, i.e. a
> safe.
>
> We will keep staff posted on what develops with this and ask your
> cooperation with its implementation.
>
> CRAP:
> There is too much crap for the IMC to accomodate all the crap that is
> presently in the building. We intend to evaluate the crap situation, the
> crap storage space, and the rules for what crap will allowed to hang
> around the IMC in the time until the next Space meeting. We should be
> moved into the grand ballroom by then and know what crap we have to deal
> with.
>
> We identified 4 principal varieties of crap:
> Tech crap
> Library crap
> Kitchen crap
> Wireless crap
>
> If you have crap that has been building up at the IMC, you should
> inquire as to its status with a member of the Space group. Because we
> plan to cut the crap that has been sitting around the IMC for too long.
> Spring cleaning time is almost here, so collect your crap or otherwise
> account for it, if you want to see it again.
>
> Remember, too much crap leads to constipation.
>
> The Middle Hall:
> Where a lot of the crap has been building up is in the area of the
> kitchen and the work/storage area. We intend to turn this into a work
> area and delineate it so that it is not seen as generally a public
> [...]

David Young                   On the Job Consulting
dyoung at onthejob.net     Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933