[Imc] Tech Mtg Notes 3-13-02

Paul Riismandel p-riism at ntx1.cso.uiuc.edu
Thu Mar 14 05:04:44 UTC 2002

IMC Tech Group Notes
3-13-02
Attending: Brian H., Clint P., Paul R. (facilitating and cantilevering)

FIELD BAG ON FIELD TRIP
Field Bag #2 was gone for a day without being signed out, but is now back.
We dusted for prints, but it made us sneeze.

MIC-GO-ROUND
Some mics on loan from Paul K. have been reclaimed.  They have been replaced
with mics from Brian and Mike L.  Thanks to them.

MIKE W & MSG. BOARD
Mike W. sent a list of desires out to IMC list.  He talked personally to
Paul R. about a threaded message board.  Mike thinks we can get a free one
from disintegration.org which provides one to the LA IMC, all he asks for is
a link on the IMC webpage.  IMC Tech would like Mike to come see us when
he's got things together for a final consensus, though at the moment there
are no concerns.  IMC Tech will not be responsible for maintenance or
moderation of the board.

PUBLIC I-OPENER MACHINE
Clint has the I-opener web appliance working and on the network.  It's
running linux (it doesn't run windows at all) and Clint wants to put a more
user-friendly interface on it before unleashing it as a public access
machine.

VIDEO CAM
Paul really wants the IMC to have a video camera, especially in light of the
global newsreal asking for our participation and other requests for video.
He would like to use the Allen Hall money (~$1400) to buy it and necessary
accessories.  He recommends the Sony TRV-17 digital video camera, which
costs about $900, a $100 tripod, a bag and extra batteries.  He will work up
a budget for approval by tech and to be then submitted to Steering.  Brian
and Clint raised no objections to this, pending a proposal.

CHANGING SPOKES, STILL ROLLING
Paul will be stepping down as Tech spoke within about a month.  He thinks
that spoke should not be a permanent position and would like to shift his
efforts to getting video going at the IMC.  Clint has agreed to step forward
as spoke for at least three months.  We would like to get a second spoke,
perhaps somebody with an A/V orientation to balance Clint's computer nerd
tendencies.

STRUCTURE REVIEW
As requested of all working groups we have reviewed the current IMC
structure, which is set to be reviewed  and possibly renewed at the upcoming
general meeting.  Nobody at the tech meeting has a concern with the current
structure.  The only issue is that Tech has to be better at keeping and
distributing meeting notes.

Next meeting: Wed, 3/20/02 6pm. Computer & Networking is the focus.