[Imc] you say 'tomato', i say 'rainbow trout'

Jay Morris jrmorris at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 29 21:10:01 UTC 2002

Green-thumbed IMCistas,

It's almost planting season.  I would like to do a Life in the Bike Lane
episode on GMO's in home gardens.  So far, I've done no research on this at
all, and I'm looking for leads to get started.

When you buy one of the 50,000 kinds of tomato plants they sell at Lowe's
(e.g., big boy, super 100, crazy mo-fo, ...), are these hybrids or GMO's?
What about seed packets? Are there better places to buy seeds/plants in
town?

I know that GMO's are all over our fields, but what about our backyard
gardens? People should know where they can go for seeds/plants, and what
they're going to get.  I've bought plants at lowe's before and i've never
seen anything indicating they were GMO's.  Of course, that's not something
they're going to advertise.  Have I been growing fish-tomatoes and
franken-basil or what?

Does anyone want to help with this? I'd be happy to work with someone to
turn this into a nice-and-timely radionews piece/headline too.

Thanks,
Jay