[Imc] tech mtg notes 05-15-02

Paul Riismandel p-riism at ntx1.cso.uiuc.edu
Thu May 16 00:23:07 UTC 2002

IMC tech 5-15-02
Present: Paul R (recording), Sascha, Clint, Dan L., Mike W.

Old Biz:
Haven't heard back on price to fix Paul K's mics.
Paul R hasn't yet done a draft of equipment loan agreement.
No problem in saving Paul K's files on MoJo during HD cleanup next week.
Features.cgi on hold, pending new IMC software.

New Biz:
Release of new IMC software from Baltimore called Dada is out.  It looks
good.  Resident geeks Clint and Dan say the code is very nice, well
documents and has an easy install. The code is in PHP and has no ties to
Active, which the U-C IMC currently runs.

Tonight Clint will do a test install of DadaIMC on groogroo for us to play
with.  He figures the first new install outside Baltimore will reveal some
bugs.  We'll discuss how things are going in two weeks (5/29 meeting).
We'll see if we want to port to Dada and how we can move our current
newswire database to the new software.

If we want to go for it, Sascha will work to implement some previous agreed
upon design goal for better usability.

Dada IMC allows for there to be multiple newswires by subject area --
Baltimore divides by local and non-local/syndicated.  The features are also
automated, which would allow us to easily broaden the number of people
editing and writing website features.

Next meeting: 5/22/02, focus on audio and video