[Imc] IMC Space and Finance Minutes, 15 May 2002

Michael S. Feltes mfeltes at ucimc.org
Thu May 16 01:23:36 UTC 2002

IMC Space Group Minutes

Present: Sascha, Mike Lehman, Mike Feltes, Clint, Mike Walcher, Shelley

The production room door is fixed.

Clint's Coffee Shop Visioning:

Clint's been talkin' to Dave Madden, who has an interest in running a
coffee shop, and Clint has interest.

They agree that it would be hard to make a coffee shop work in the middle
room.

Disadvantages to the front room include siting a sink.  Some technical
details around sink like things ensue.

The library would need to be moved.

Old coffee equipment might be obtainable from the old Cinema Cafe.

Is there enough foot traffic to support a coffee shop?  Is the capital
expense workable?

We need to figure out the costs of professionally installed plumbing.

We need a list of how many things need to be done to bring the space up to
code.

Schmoozing with Carol and Norm (owners of the Cinema Cafe) may be helpful
in obtaining equipment.

In thinking about a business plan, the concept of rent as a measure of
sustainability is useful.

Dave and Clint are more interested in running it as a non-profit, so
they'd prefer that the coffee shop work as a functioning arm of the IMC.

This is the first formal discussion of a coffee shop.  The next step
should be to ask what objections, if any, exist among the membership and
bring a proposal to Steering that Clint start to investigate the
possibilities.

If the front becomes a coffee shop, we can't have people hanging out
there.  Where will the community space be? ("we can't go about this with a
half-assed attitude toward making money" - ML)

We need something in the window to help draw attention to the space that
are not Christmas lights which will burn out instantly.  Space will
allocate $50 for the purchase of replacement light ropes which will last
forever and ever amen.

action item (ML): go to Menard's and investigate creepy commercial
gu^H^H^H^H^H buy light ropes

Middle Floor Renovation:

There is a troupe of dancers that might work out of the IMC.

Washing, applying polyurethane, and buffing to the middle room floor will
take care of the splinters on the floor and make it a useable dance space.

It's going to take some planning, but Shelley and Space will coordinate on
scheduling time for the renovation and make arrangements for the
equipment.

Finance: Mike L takes notes here

Sascha: Taxes are in; available for review.
Still running DEFICIT
Fundraising Ideas and effort--can YOU make some phone calls, is all it
takes says Sascha--call him!
IMC Argentine gets $5000-we keep $350 for doing paperwork, etc as agent.
Is OK to fiscally sponsor Arizona IMC? No objections heard; Sascha will
make it so.
Paul R. is doin membership, w/ James Jacobs
Zach is doing groogroo services, IMC's IT services unit
Russ will be doing local finances
Wanna volunteer?
Got fundraising ideas?Nanacy D. has sent in a grant app, we are hopeful.
When new people come to town, turn them onto the IMC this summer!