[Imc] IMC Endorsements:

Sascha Meinrath sascha at ucimc.org
Fri Sep 13 18:39:13 UTC 2002

Hi everyone,

At this week's Steering Group Meeting we will be discussing two requests
for endorsements.  Please come, this Sunday at Noon, if you would like to
have input or send an e-mail to: imc at ucimc.org

--Sascha

*** REQUEST 1 ***

Thursday September 12th, 2002

Dear Friend,

The Illinois Disciples Foundation would like to invite your organization
to co-sponsor the upcoming talk by Colombian human rights defender Elder
Sanchez entitled, ^ÓTelling the Real Story: The Impact of US Policy in
Colombia^Ô. This talk will take place on Thursday October 10th the
Illinois Disciples Foundation from 7-9pm in Wisegarver Lounge, located at
the corner of Springfield and Wright in Champaign.

Elder Jair Sanchez, a lawyer, is the leader of the National Association of
Peasant Farmers (ANUC).  For the period spanning 2001-2003, Elder is
serving as a delegate to the Departmental Assembly of Putumayo and between
1995 and 2001, he headed up a team that developed proposals for manual
eradication of illicit crops in Putumayo.  At present, Elder is the
promoter of the Association for Social Pacts for Voluntary Manual
Eradication of Illicit Crops in Putumayo.

Elder^Òs talk at the Illinois Disciples Foundation is just one stop on a
speaking tour organized by the US Office on Colombia.  On this tour
Carolina Aldana and Elder Jair Sanchez are visiting cities across the
United States to give first hand accounts of their lives and their
personal struggle in a country torn by war.  During his talk at the
Illinois Disciples Foundation, Elder will give testimony of the massacre
of rural communities and the persecution of civilians by both sides in the
war, by paramilitary groups, supported by the Colombian military, and by
guerrilla forces.  Specifically, his testimony will focus on the impact of
US policy on the lives of ordinary Colombians, such as the effects caused
by the fumigation of large areas of southern Colombia.  Elder will also
discuss alternatives to current US Policy and share ways we can organize
locally for more just solutions.

I hope your organization will be able to co-sponsor this event.  We are
not asking co-sponsoring organizations for a monetary contribution, but
simply to allow their names to be used in publicity for the event and to
help promote the event among their members and allies.  To be mentioned as
a co-sponsor I need to hear back from your organization by 9:00pm Sunday
September 22nd.

If you have any questions please call 352-8721.  This event will be free
and
open to the public, translation between Spanish and English will be
provided, and childcare is available upon request.

I hope to hear from you soon, in peace and solidarity,

Meridith Kruse
Director, Illinois Disciples Foundation

*** REQUEST 2 ***

Dear Independent Media Center,

    I am writing to you with an exciting opportunity for the IMC to
network and receive free publicity. Students Improving the Lives of Animals
(SILA) has created a Student Choice Proposal which would allow students with
religious and ethical oppositions to dissection the opportunity to use
non-animal alternatives, and we need your organization's support!

 SILA, with the help of Environmental Resources and Students for Environmental
Concerns, is currently collaborating with the Illinois Student Government on
this issue, and we are working for a resolution that the student body could
vote on (See proposal http://www.uiuc.edu/ro/sila/dissection.proposal.html)

  A Student-Choice Policy would not attempt to end dissection at the U of I,
but would instead affirm the right of students to conscientiously object to
dissection and complete a non-animal project which studies show meet and often
exceed educational objectives. This follows the U of I Code of Policies and
Regulations<http://www.uiuc.edu/admin_manual/code/rule_1.html> that prevents
students from being discriminated against due to their religious beliefs.

 Please check the following below that apply and e-mail me (Lauren)
at lhurd at uiuc.edu by September 20th:
___ Yes, My organization supports the Student Choice Proposal for students
with religious objections to dissection,

___ We want our organization to be advertised on your flyers for this
campaign.

___ We want our organization to be announced at all ISG and Student Senate
    meetings that discuss this proposal,

___ We want to be advertised on the SILA website for this campaign.

Thank you!
Lauren Hurd

Sell a Home with Ease!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/SrPZMC/kTmEAA/MVfIAA/.DlolB/TM