[IMC] Fwd: Summer Internships at Prometheus

Danielle Chynoweth chyn at ojctech.com
Tue Apr 10 15:30:35 UTC 2012

Hi IMCistas, here is an opportunity to help expand community media and get
some great organizing and job experience this summer with an action packed
team in Philly.  Reply directly to the contact below if interested -
Danielle

Please distribute widely.****

*Prometheus is looking for interns!*

** **

We are looking for interns seeking to gain useful skills and a meaningful
experience in the movement to democratize the airwaves and the media.****

** **

The Prometheus Radio Project builds participatory radio as a tool for
social justice organizing and a voice for community expression. To that
end, we demystify media policy and technology, advocate for a more just
media system, and help grassroots organizations build communications
infrastructure to strengthen their communities and movements.****

** **

We envision a world in which the media is not a means to limit democratic
participation, but a way for communities and movements to express
themselves and struggle for justice. We imagine a nationwide community
radio infrastructure made up of hundreds of independent, locally-orientated
stations, part of a global movement to put media in the hands of the people.
****

** **

*Summer Internships available: *

** **

*Community Radio Organizer *

*Policy Intern*

*Technical Training and Support Intern*

** **

*When:* Summer internships are from May 21 to August 17. Precise start and
end dates can be negotiated, however, there will be a mandatory orientation
the week of May 21. Fall internships will also be available.****

** **

*Where:* Philadelphia, PA & Washington, DC****

** **

*Time commitment:* Flexible, 15-30 hours per week is desired. Please
indicate how many hours you can commit to in your cover letter.****

** **

*Compensation / Benefits:* A limited amount of funding is available to
support individuals who have a financial need that would otherwise prevent
participation in this internship. If this is the case for you, please
attach with your application a separate document titled "Financial Need
Statement" indicating any such need. This will not affect your acceptance.**
**

** **

Interns who are university students are eligible for course credits. Other
benefits include a rewarding experience, training, a letter of
recommendation, ability to travel with Prometheus, and the option of paying
the premium to access our health care program.****

** **

** **

** **

*Community Radio Organizer*

** **

*Expectations:*

Strong commitment to our mission and values****

Undergo training for community radio and intake technology****

Willingness to travel and attend conferences****

Desire to foster the collective structure of PRP****

** **

*Tasks:*

Answer phone calls and emails from potential applicants when staffing help
desk****

Data entry and electronic record keeping****

Maintain contact data in a constituent relationship management system****

Manage relationships with representatives from media outlets, nonprofit
organizations, community groups, and social justice movements****

Assist with planning and logistics for trainings and community meetings on
LPFM****

Perform research and assist in the creation of media and educational
materials****

Participate in conference, tour, and workshop planning ****

Support the regular updating of the website and social media sites****

Assist with writing articles for monthly e-publications****

** **

*Qualifications:*

Strong communication (oral and written) ****

Ability to work in teams and independently****

Experience working with communities historically marginalized from media
access, representation, and ownership a plus****

Understanding of existing social justice movements in a plus****

Bilingual English/Spanish a plus****

Technologically savvy with social media, mobile technologies, and other
geeky stuff (will train if needed)****

****

** **

*Policy Intern*

** **

After the recent passage of the Local Community Radio Act, the FCC is
reviewing its rules and preparing to accept applications for new community
radio stations, a major opportunity to shift our media landscape. The
Prometheus policy intern will fight for a better media system by helping to
change the rules on community radio. This will include researching the
impact of proposed FCC rules, educating the public on that impact, and
helping groups around the country to file their own FCC comments. This
position will offer the chance to learn about the world of community radio
as well as the regulatory system that governs our media.****

** **

*Although the rest of the Prometheus staff is based in Philadelphia, the
policy internship supervisor works from Washington DC, and the policy
intern should also be located in the DC area.* However, there is no
Washington office for the organization, so the policy intern will work
remotely and must have access to a phone and computer during internship
hours. Candidates must be able to communicate effectively by phone, email,
and/or skype to ensure that projects are on track. The policy intern should
be available to meet in person to discuss work progress at least once a
week.****

** **

Policy internship hours are flexible from 16-32 hours/week.****

** **

No previous policy experience required, though an interest in technology,
media policy, and/or community radio is a must.****

** **

*Tasks:*

Support campaign to involve grassroots groups in the FCC rulemaking
processes with direct outreach and written materials****

Support regulatory staff in ensuring that community radio survey data is
successfully integrated into communitymediadatabase.org.****

Research other issues related to the policy goals of Prometheus and present
this research to policy staff through written reports and presentations****

** **

*Requirements:*

Strong ability to work independently, but also report progress, ask for
help when needed, and take direction****

Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and meet set deadlines***
*

Strong written and verbal communication skills, especially in communicating
effectively over the phone and in person with diverse groups****

Interest in media policy****

Ability to work remotely in the Washington DC area****

Comfort collaborating with remote coworkers via phone, skype, and/or email**
**

****

** **

*Technical Training and Support Intern*

** **

The Prometheus Radio Project provides technical and training support to
existing community radio stations. We support radio stations all over the
country . We offer advice, trainings and produce materials! We want to make
sure that those ones that are already on the air would be able to keep
their licenses. The first opportunity in ten years to apply for LPFM
licenses is coming and we are in the process of preparing groups to apply.
We are in a historical moment for radio!!!****

** **

We are currently preparing a campaign to provide support to Low Power FM
applicants. The technical part of the process is an exciting and
challenging piece, and we want to be able to help applicants get through
the nuts and bolts of LPFM radio. This position will offer the opportunity
to learn about the different requirements to get a radio station on the air
and to keep the existing ones broadcasting! Is an excellent opportunity to
create relationships between radio experts and new radio stations!****

** **

*Tasks:*

Participate in calls with organizations interested in applying for LPFM
radio stations.****

Learning the nuts and bolts of FM radio signals, how the radio waves travel
in the air.****

This interesting task will evolve in learning about coverage areas and
mapping!!!             ****

Communicate with existing LPFM stations to get information for new
applicants. We keep proactive communication with       existing LPFM's to
give updates about technical aspects that will help radio stations to stay
on the air.          ****

Research and review new software, technologies and applications that will
be useful for radio stations. These reviews will be published in our
e-Newsletter. ****

Collaborate with our Engineering recruitment in preparation for the
application window for new LPFM stations.                ****

Update our database and our radio contacts.****

* *

*Qualifications:*

Strong communication (oral and written) and research skills       ****

Ability to work in teams and independently****

Database management****

Willing to learn FCC rules and technical compliances and radio broadcast
theory****

Understanding of existing social justice movements is a plus      ****

Bilingual English/Spanish a plus****

** **