[IMC] Media Advisory: Haitian Women's Rights Activist Malya Villard-Appolon Chosen as CNN Hero

MADRE media at madre.org
Fri Apr 27 17:25:25 UTC 2012

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
CONTACT: Stephanie Küng, MADRE (212) 627-0444, media at madre.org[mailto:media at madre.org]

Media Advisory: Haitian Women's Rights Activist Malya Villard-Appolon Chosen as CNN Hero

April 27, 2012—New York, NY—MADRE’s Haitian partner, Malya Villard-Appolon, is one of this year’s CNN Heroes!

Malya is the co-founder of MADRE’s Haitian sister organization KOFAVIV[http://www.madre.org/index/meet-madre-1/our-partners-6/haiti-kofaviv-36.html]. For years, Malya has helped survivors of sexual violence to access medical care, shelter, legal counsel and psychological support. Her work became even more vital after the earthquake triggered a surge in this violence.

Her crucial work has won her the title of CNN Hero. CNN will be profiling Malya and her organization KOFAVIV throughout this week.

Watch Malya’s segment on CNN Heroes by clicking here[http://www.madre.org/index/press-room-4/news/haitian-partner-malya-villard-appolon-named-a-cnn-hero-789.html]. To read the article accompanying the video, click here[http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/26/world/americas/cnnheroes-villard-appolon-haiti-rape/index.html]. Later on in the year, you’ll be able to cast your vote online to help Malya win the prestigious title of the 2012 Hero of the Year.

For more information, please contact Stephanie Küng, Media Coordinator at media at madre.org[mailto:media at madre.org].

###

Remove my name from all future email correspondence
Opt out[https://bos.etapestry.com/prod/optOut.do?databaseId=Madre&jobRef=3185.0.51563881&principleRef=11427.0.2176650&email=imc%40ucimc.org]

Address postal inquiries to:
MADRE
121 W 27TH St Ste 301