[IMC] NG's Melissa Merli intvw with IMC artist Betsem Benjamin

Brian Dolinar briandolinar at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 16:46:15 UTC 2012

 Published on *News-Gazette.com* (http://www.news-gazette.com)

Home <http://www.news-gazette.com/> >
News<http://www.news-gazette.com/category/news>> Arts
and Entertainment<http://www.news-gazette.com/category/news/arts-and-entertainment>>
Art <http://www.news-gazette.com/category/news/arts-and-entertainment/art>>
Studio Visit: Betsem Benjamin
------------------------------
Studio Visit: Betsem Benjamin
 Sun, 04/29/2012 - 8:00am | Melissa Merli
 [image: 20120427-111903-pic-240834722.jpg]<http://assets.news-gazette.com/sites/all/files/imagecache/lightbox_800_600_scale/images/2012/04/21/20120427-111903-pic-240834722.jpg>
[1]
*Photo by: John Dixon/The News-Gazette*
Betsem Benjamin talks about his artwork in his studio in the basement of
the Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center in Urbana.

*Studio Visit appears first in print, in Sunday editions of The
News-Gazette. Here, **Melissa Merli visits with **artist Betsem Benjamin at
his studio in Urbana. *

*Q: You're from Cameroon. How did you end up in Champaign-Urbana?*

*A: *I was in Arizona and invited by the University of Illinois to come
here for a summer African language institute. I was working on a project on
the relationship of anthropology and art. After I came here, I understood,
after meeting people, there was no African artist doing exactly what I am
doing: teaching African anthropology through the arts. I went back to
Arizona and then came back here in August 2008.

*Q: Why did you stay?*

*A: *Because the moment I started working, I started being connected with a
lot of people. First, I met Sam Smith (engagement director at Krannert
Center for the Performing Arts) and Chris Evans, the (Urbana-Champaign
Independent Media Center) building coordinator at the time. He was an
artist. He said, "OK, we want to have you here." I started working here at
the IMC in February '09.

*Q: Are you the artist-in-residence at the IMC?*