[IMC] Call-in Day Against I-Con on Monday 8/20

ppbirthday at riseup.net ppbirthday at riseup.net
Fri Aug 17 14:18:13 UTC 2012

More info at prisonbooks.info

A call-in day has been announced for Monday, August 20 in support of all
prisoners who are suffering the inhumane form of punishment known as I-Con
(Intensive Control) or solitary, and in particular the Strong 8 prisoners
who are still in solitary.

Here’s a note from one of the Strong 8:
“I went to the DCA board today, and all of us were given six more months of
ICON! I can’t believe it! I haven’t received any infractions, or caused any
trouble. I haven’t given no reason to be kept on I-Con. The FCC board
recommended us to be released to regular population, but the warden
over-ruled
the recommendation and told the DCA board to keep us on ICON as an example. I
have never seen such gross disregard of policy, and such blatant abuse of
power. It’s ridiculous. As you know, all support, and acts of solidarity are
truly appreciated. You and everyone else involved are truly a blessing.”

Sample script for calling Warden Lassiter (you can also modify for the
director of prisons):

Warden Lassiter,

I am calling in regards to your facility’s use of solitary confinement (ICON
status) to further punish politically active prisoners and hunger strikers.
Specifically, I find it outrageous and unacceptable that you are using
segregation on Unit 1 to politically retaliate against prisoners for their
role in a recent hunger strike, as well as against members of the Strong 8
who, with no write ups or infractions, are being kept in solitary despite a
recommendation for general population. There is no way to understand this
except strictly as a political threat by your administration against other
prisoners who would organize themselves.

Your use of solitary confinement betrays the lie that is segregation — the
idea that it exists for security or safety is a clear farce. The world is
finding out what you are doing at Central, other prisoners are learning about
it, and the media is doing stories on it. Your use of sensory deprivation
as a
tactic of political intimidation disgusts me.

Solidarity with all striking prisoners
XXX

Central Prison Warden Ken Lassiter
phone: 919.733.0800