[IMC] iHelp 2012

Kenneth Shaevel shaevel2 at illinois.edu
Mon Aug 20 16:25:40 UTC 2012

[image: Inline image 4]

*Hello,

I am writing you regarding participation in University of Illinois’s
Homecoming volunteer project, iHelp. This year, iHelp will take place
on Saturday,
October 20, 2012. We would love to send students to your
agency/organization to help you in any way possible. Here are more details:

iHelp is a one-day volunteer project organized by the U of I Student Alumni
Ambassadors that sends more than 1,500 Illinois students into the community
to help with a variety of different activities. This day of service not
only offers assistance in large numbers but also unites students all over
campus and creates a positive impact within the Champaign-Urbana community.

I am writing to see if your organization would be interested in hosting a
group of student volunteers. We encourage agencies to “think big” with
projects that they might not normally be able to complete, but with a large
group of students could get done or improved within a 2-3 hour range. These
projects could include painting, grounds clean-ups, group projects, or
other tasks like helping at an event; anything your agency may need help
with. More importantly, this is a great opportunity to recruit student
volunteers for your agency as well as educate students about the
Champaign-Urbana community and the services that you offer. Our goal is to
help students not only volunteer this day but continue to volunteer
throughout their career.

In order to spread information about agencies/organizations, we will be
displaying the agencies involved in iHelp on the iHelp website. This allows
students to view the agencies we will be working with and will allow for
more community members to learn about our event as well.

It is possible that another student group will contact you about creating a
project for iHelp. In order to dispel any confusion, we would like to
explain the reason for this. For the third consecutive year, student groups
have the option of creating their own project for the day of iHelp. In the
case that a student group decides to ask your agency/organization tbe a
partner, we ask that you first prioritize the primary project for which we
are contacting you.

The best way to ensure the largest number of volunteer opportunities is to
continue to coordinate directly with the Student Alumni Ambassadors. If you
are able to support a secondary project with a specialized student
organization, it is both welcomed and encouraged. We wanted to give you
notice in case you receive multiple contacts about our event, and we
apologize for any confusion.

Please let me know if you would like to work together with us on this great
event by filling out this
survey<https://docs.google.com/a/illinois.edu/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dFVUc2tzOThuRU9wWWRaWktYaTl5Zmc6MQ#gid=0>.
We would appreciate your response by Monday, October 1, 2012. If you have
any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me at any time.

With your assistance, iHelp will continue to make a difference in the
Champaign-Urbana community, and I thank you in advance for your time and
consideration.

Sincerely,

Kenny Shaevel
Student Alumni Ambassadors | iHelp 2012 Codirector of Agencies
shaevel2 at illinois.edu | (847) 525-4878
*