No subject

Thu Mar 8 04:02:08 UTC 2012

the United States will come together in Dallas, Texas, to do just that at
the =B3Empowering Democracy: Challenging Corporate Power and Demanding
Accountability=B2 Conference and Day of Action.

As corporate influence over the political process increases, it=B9s becoming
harder to achieve traditional solutions for mending environmental, social
and other problems through legislative action. Campaigns to restrict the
growing power of corporations or to reform or make them accountable to the
public for their actions, called =B3corporate accountability campaigns=B2, or
simply =B3corporate campaigns=B2, are proving successful. Under pressure from
such campaigns, Home Depot stopped carrying rainforest lumber, Ford and
General Motors withdrew from the Global Climate Coalition, companies
divested from South Africa, STARBUCKS was pressured into carrying Fair Trad=
Coffee and  dozens of companies are making strides towards eliminating the
use of sweatshops by allowing independent monitoring to occur in factories.

Whether you are fighting a local corporate bully or a giant transnational
corporation, you can learn effective skills, tactics and strategies needed
to convince or require corporations to include social, environmental and
labor concerns as part of their =B3bottom line.=B2 We can be much more effectiv=
and powerful if we join together in planning campaigns and/or support each
other in our different campaigns and work.  This is why we are inviting you
to participate in the conference.

We urge you to visit our new web site at www.empoweringdemocracy.org
<http://www.empoweringdemocracy.org>  and read more about the =B3Empowering
Democracy: Challenging Corporate Power and Demanding Accountability=B2
Conference and Day of Action. It is updated regularly and has a downloadabl=
preliminary agenda and application. We encourage you to fill in and submit
applications as soon as possible, because space is limited and applications
must be postmarked by April 16th.  We are striving for diversity... racial,
cultural, social, educational, sexual diversity, but also diversity in the
issues we work on, diversity on the strategies we use and diversity in the
organizations (big and small) that attend.  Please keep this in mind!

If you are interested in attending, but your organization=B9s funding is
limited, we will do all we can to arrange financial assistance.

Please forward this message to others you think would be interested in the
Conference.

Together we can win!

Thanks,

Molly Rooke, Conference Organizer
Empowering Democracy: Challenging Corporate Power
and Demanding Accountability
6139 Stichter Avenue
Dallas, TX 75230-5000
(214) 369-6667, Home/ Work phone
(214) 762-3163 Cellular/Voice Mail
(214) 369-6668 Fax (call first)
Molly at LaRosa-Ranch.com
www.empoweringdemocracy.org

--MS_Mac_OE_3069083764_2027619_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Corporate Campaigner's Conference in May...Apply NOW!</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Global Exchange, Campaign ExxonMobil, INF=
ACT, Rainforest Action Network, Co-Op America, Greenpeace, TRAC and others, =
invite you to a conference on challenging corporate power.  <BR>
<BR>
Please join us and please pass this message on.  Thank You!<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
</FONT>In peace and solidarity, <BR>
<BR>
Leila Salazar<BR>
Corporate Accountability Organizer<BR>
Global Exchange<BR>
 <BR>
P.S.  Feel free to call me if you have any questions at 1-800-497-1994=
 ext 355<BR>
-- <BR>
<FONT FACE=3D"Arial"><BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Arial"><H5>Want to do something about corporate e=
ncroachment on democracy, and the unfair or abusive treatment of workers, co=
mmunities and the environment, often while they promote themselves as genero=
us, caring, environmentally-friendly and good corporate citizens? <BR>
 <BR>
Want to get together with and learn from experts and other activists succes=
sful in changing corporate behavior?<BR>
 <BR>
</H5><FONT SIZE=3D"2">From May 27 through May 30, 2001, activists and organiz=
ations from all over the United States will come together in Dallas, Texas, =
to do just that at the <B>=B3Empowering Democracy: Challenging Corporate Power=
 and Demanding Accountability=B2 Conference and Day of Action</B>.<BR>
 <BR>
As corporate influence over the political process increases, it=B9s becoming =
harder to achieve traditional solutions for mending environmental, social an=
d other problems through legislative action. Campaigns to restrict the growi=
ng power of corporations or to reform or make them accountable to the public=
 for their actions, called =B3corporate accountability campaigns=B2, or simply =B3=
corporate campaigns=B2, are proving successful. Under pressure from such campa=
igns, Home Depot stopped carrying rainforest lumber, Ford and General Motors=
 withdrew from the Global Climate Coalition, companies divested from South A=
frica, STARBUCKS was pressured into carrying Fair Trade Coffee and  doz=
ens of companies are making strides towards eliminating the use of sweatshop=
s by allowing independent monitoring to occur in factories.<BR>
 <BR>
Whether you are fighting a local corporate bully or a giant transnational c=
orporation, you can learn effective skills, tactics and strategies needed to=
 convince or require corporations to include social, environmental and labor=
 concerns as part of their =B3bottom line.=B2 We can be much more effective and =
powerful if we join together in planning campaigns and/or support each other=
 in our different campaigns and work.  This is why we are inviting you =
to participate in the conference. <BR>
 <BR>
We urge you to visit our new web site at www.empoweringdemocracy.org <ht=
tp://www.empoweringdemocracy.org>  and read more about the =B3Empoweri=
ng Democracy: Challenging Corporate Power and Demanding Accountability=B2 Conf=
erence and Day of Action. It is updated regularly and has a downloadable pre=
liminary agenda and application. We encourage you to fill in and submit appl=
ications as soon as possible, because space is limited and applications must=
 be postmarked by April 16th.  We are striving for diversity... racial,=
 cultural, social, educational, sexual diversity, but also diversity in the =
issues we work on, diversity on the strategies we use and diversity in the o=
rganizations (big and small) that attend.  Please keep this in mind! &n=
bsp;<BR>
 <BR>
If you are interested in attending, but your organization=B9s funding is limi=
ted, we will do all we can to arrange financial assistance.  <BR>
 <BR>
Please forward this message to others you think would be interested in the =
Conference.<BR>
 <BR>
Together we can win! <BR>
 <BR>
Thanks,<BR>
 <BR>
Molly Rooke, Conference Organizer <BR>
Empowering Democracy: Challenging Corporate Power <BR>
and Demanding Accountability<BR>
6139 Stichter Avenue<BR>
Dallas, TX 75230-5000<BR>
(214) 369-6667, Home/ Work phone<BR>
(214) 762-3163 Cellular/Voice Mail<BR>
(214) 369-6668 Fax (call first)<BR>
Molly at LaRosa-Ranch.com<BR>
www.empoweringdemocracy.org<BR>
<BR>
 <BR>
</FONT></FONT><BR>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3069083764_2027619_MIME_Part--

----__JNP_000_0afb.5fea.2803--