No subject

Thu Mar 8 04:02:08 UTC 2012

Anthony Sloan has just announced on Radio4Houston that there will be no live
show produced as the Democracy Now crew will be meeting with management in the
morning. Anthony said that attendees at the meeting will be : Yasko, Leid, a
lawyer representing "Pacifica", an AFTRA representative and the Democracy Now
crew.

Please attend the demo at WBAI 120 Wall Street at 7 am if you can. Yasko
should see a large and vocal crowd.

Lyn

http://savewbai.tao.ca
***********

Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 17:13:49 -0400
From: Shebar Windstone <shebar at inch.com
Subject: Bessie Wash (Mis)Statement / Disinformation / Lie

As we who've been following the situation know, this morning WBAI refused the
audio feed offered by Democracy Now from its independent & harassment-free
production studios outside the station. But it seems Pacifica is continuing
its usual pattern. Note Wash's wording: "...Amy Goodman has chosen not to
host..." This appears to leave an opening for Pacifica to install a stooge in
her place. I'll refrain from commenting on their "commitment" to the program's
-- & Amy's -- devoted listeners.

Undoubtedly many of us will be outside the station tomorrow morning from
7:00-10:00 am & many more hours in the coming days & nights. Please write or
call Pacifica to urge that Amy Goodman & other Democracy Now producers be
given unimpeded & unharassed access to WBAI's main production studio & to
their office & that the program be broadcast free of censorship. Meanwhile,
look for more info at savepacifica.net, pacificacampaign.org, wbix.org,
flashpoints.net, democracynow.org, goodlight.net/wbai/, & other free speech
websites.
- Shebar

The following file was uploaded/updated at
Tuesday, August 14, 2001 3:49:16 PM Local time
[from the Pacifica website]

http://www.pacifica.org/info/prgnws8_14.html

*******
STATEMENT OF BESSIE WASH,
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF THE
PACIFICA FOUNDATION

AUGUST 14, 2001
We are disappointed that Amy Goodman has chosen not to host the
award-winning Democracy Now! from the studios of WBAI. This is an
unfortunate situation that serves only to deprive the show's listeners of
programming important to them.

While we maintain a policy that prevents us from publicly discussing internal
disputes and personnel matters, we will continue to try to bridge any
differences and find a suitable arrangement for those involved. Whatever our
differences are, we feel that the devoted listeners of the show should not be
penalized. Pacifica apologizes to the listeners of Democracy Now! and is
committed to returning the show to the air as soon as possible.

*******
 ..friends, I repost here some very useful information on Amy Goodman which
ran at the back of one of Bob Lederer's emails earlier today and may have been
missed.

--efs

==================================

This was posted on the WBAI Goodlights Message Board this morning, and appears
to be an accurate rendering of Amy's comments, generally confirmed by other
sources.

Anonymous
Amy calls in to WBIX and explains what happened
Tue Aug 14 10:33:27 2001

Democracy Now! broadcast from Downtown Community Television today. Amy [called
into WBIX afterwards and] talked about what happened and why they have
relocated.

"Even after we closed our door, they used a super master key to break into our
office. We had closed the door to stop them from shouting at us. Even the
Morning Show anchor Santiago Nieves had to come out and tell them to stop
because it could be heard on the broadcast. It is a tremendously hate-filled
and hostile workplace. We let the Board and Management know yesterday that we
had found a safe harbor in a place on the outskirts of Chinatown. Some amazing
people helped us out - Jason, Andy, John Alpert - they have made it possible
for us to be in a space where we can feel safe."

WBIX told Amy they were playing a tape on John Lennon and Amy said "Oh then
they're
playing Lennon's Imagining Peace. We didn't want to just imagine it, we wanted
to experience it! Management was not giving us any relief from the tremendous
hostility against us, which culminated in physical violence. We told
Washington that we had relocated and that it was available on satellite, and
so it's their choice whether to broadcast Democracy Now! Management has said
that they will meet with us to discuss these issues. The hostility is
tremendous, and it's not just against us of course, but the many who have been
driven out, the banned and the fired."

Note: if the signal stations, affiliates and Pacifica stations decide to carry
the program it will be heard. Check KPFA at noon to see they broadcast it
[they do live streaming at

www.kpfa.org]. There was an air check today and if they decide to put those
air checks up on webactive, we'll be able to listen on the Democracy Now!
archives.

Much of the above was also reported by Pamela Somers on NewPacifica, plus the
following: