[IMC] College Senior Conducting Research on Infoshops

Ciupalo,Alexander J saysha at ufl.edu
Wed Mar 14 14:44:16 UTC 2012

Hi,

I am currently conducting research for a senior paper on infoshops in
the United States.  My name is Sasha Ciupalo, and I am an undergraduate
student at the University of Florida and a dedicated intern at
Gainesville's infoshop, the Civic Media Center.  I am sending out a
brief survey to a list of infoshops with the hope of receieving
paper approaches.  Filling out the survey should take no more than 15-20
minutes.  Responses will be compared and may be included in my research
essay.  Your contributions to this survey will not only enlighten
myself, but hopefully a wider audience, too, as I will be submitting my
paper for presentation at an upcoming academic conference.

Thank you,
Sasha Ciupalo

SURVEY:

1.	Briefly, what is The Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center?
2.	How did The Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center come to exist?
3.	Are there any organizations that The Urbana-Champaign Independent
Media Center looked to, or looks to, for guidance?
4.	What is The Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center's mission?
5.	How does The Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center fulfill its
mission?
6.	How could The Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center do a better
job, in your opinion, fulfilling its mission?
7.	How important are The Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center and
similar organizations to both the local and broader, global community?
8.	What is The Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center's primary
source of funding?
9.	Has there ever been, or do you anticipate, a shift in the source of
funding?
10.	Should the board of trustees be ultimately responsible for securing
funding?
11.	How important are government grants?
12.	Has maintaining 501(c)(3) status ever been an issue?
13.	In what ways does The Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center
strengthen community ties?
14.	Can you give an example of how the interests of the local community
helped The Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center fulfill its
mission?
15.	Does The Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center network with
other similar organizations?
16.	How does The Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center network in
order to achieve certain goals?
17.	How are staff operations divided?
18.	Did this mode of operation come out of experience, or was it
designed prior?
19.	Specifically, how could efficiency and effectiveness of staff
operations improve, in your opinion?
20.	How are board of trustees duties structured at The Urbana-Champaign
Independent Media Center?
21.	What are the pros and cons of having a distinctively active,
involved board of trustees?
22.	Who develops the strategies for fulfilling The Urbana-Champaign
Independent Media Center's mission, the board, staff, or both?
23.	To what extent are commercial activities pursued at The
Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center?
24.	Are there any cautions taken at The Urbana-Champaign Independent
Media Center with regard to commercial activities?
25.	What does The Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center do to
promote grassroots activism and assist broader social movements?
26.	What are the difficulties in remaining politically impartial?
27.	In your opinion, what is the most important service The
Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center provides?
28.	How did you, personally, become involved with The Urbana-Champaign
Independent Media Center?
29.	What do you hope to see happen at The Urbana-Champaign Independent
Media Center within the next five years?
30.	What challenges does The Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center
face in the future?