[IMC] Help get the word out & Donate! Basket Drive Extended thru Tuesday - FLYER Attached

Goines, V goinesv at illinois.edu
Sat Nov 17 00:35:41 UTC 2012

Good afternoon,

This is Vaneitta Goines, with the Office of Volunteer Programs at the Illini Union. We are seeking your assistance in getting the word out about our extended Thanksgiving Care Basket Drive. Originally scheduled to end Wednesday, the Basket Drive has been flooded with late requests for assistance. Due to increased need from agencies and the families they serve, we are trying to raise an additional 120 baskets. If at all possible, we'd like you to post information about our drive - and the need in East Central Illinois - to your listserv, and to donate one or more baskets. If you are not able to donate full baskets, please give one or more $25 dollar grocery store gift cards. Feel free to contact me at 217.244.1024 or goinesv at illinois.edu<mailto:goinesv at illinois.edu> for more information. I have included the updated press release below, as well as a general flyer and a word document listing the items requested in our basket.

For busy individuals without time to put together a basket, the Illini Union Quad Shop will accept basket orders ($40 each) through Tuesday. Also, $25 gift cards to local grocery stores (Schnucks, Meijer, Walmart, County Market, etc.) will assist in purchasing perishable items such as turkeys.

If your organization has already donated to this year's drive, our agencies and families are exceedingly grateful for your gift! My apologies for multiple postings as this email reaches several OVP lists.

Thank you, Vaneitta
Vaneitta Goines, MDA
Program Advisor, Office of Volunteer Programs
Student Programs and Activities, Illini Union
P: (217) 244-1024    F: (217) 244-4294
goinesv at illinois.edu<mailto:goinesv at illinois.edu>
ovp at illinois.edu<mailto:ovp at illinois.edu> or (217) 333-7424
http://www.union.illinois.edu/ovp

Follow us on our facebook page for regular updates! http://www.facebook.com/uiovp

Check out http://www.cuvolunteer.org<http://www.cuvolunteer.org/> to find volunteer opportunities in the area.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Vaneitta Goines, Office of Volunteer Programs
Phone: 217.333.7424 | FAX: 217.244.4294
Email: ovp at illinois.edu<mailto:ovp at illinois.edu>
Website: http://union.illinois.edu/ovp/

Thanksgiving Basket Drive Extended to Meet Increased Need for Thanksgiving Meals for Local Families

Due to increased community need, the Illini Union Office of Volunteer Programs (OVP) is extending its request for donations of Thanksgiving Care Baskets for families in need in the East Central Illinois area. A Thanksgiving Basket consists of a laundry basket filled with all of the necessary items for a family to have a full Thanksgiving dinner, and getting involved is easy.  Basket donors are asked to drop off completed Thanksgiving Baskets or $25 gift cards to the Illini Union Office of Volunteer Programs (OVP) located at 288 Illini Union South (Quad Side), 1401 W. Green Street, Urbana, IL 61801 any time before 2:00 PM Tuesday. Due to the difficult economic climate, there are significantly more requests for assistance during the holidays. OVP asks campus and community members to help provide Thanksgiving dinners to those families who do not otherwise have the means to do so. A list of items to include in each basket can be found at http://go.illinois.edu/volunteer.

When dropping off baskets, donors may contact OVP at ovp at illinois.edu<mailto:ovp at illinois.edu> or (217) 333-7424 when pulling into the Illini Union Circle Drive and volunteers will assist with basket unloading. Volunteers are needed to assist with agency pickup from 1:00 to 6:00 PM Monday and 10:30 AM to 3:00 PM Tuesday. Basket distribution to additional agencies ends Tuesday. Volunteers should be able to carry baskets weighing 35-45 pounds each.

The Office of Volunteer Programs is coordinating closely with several local community non-profit agencies to make sure that this pressing need in the community is met and that families in need receive a Thanksgiving meal.  This is the sixth year OVP has organized this drive, and while we have had success in the past, we hope to meet the growing need in the community with even more baskets this year.  For more information, please contact OVP by phone, email, or stop by our office in 288 Illini Union.  You can also check out our website: http://union.illinois.edu/ovp/.

The Illini Union Office of Volunteer Programs (OVP), a division of Student Affairs at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC) exists to promote volunteering and to enhance and expand meaningful student involvement in community service.  One of its main functions has been to provide a clearinghouse where volunteer opportunities can be matched with willing student volunteers.  OVP continually strives to increase students' awareness of the needs of the Champaign-Urbana community.  The goal is to enrich the educational experience of students, faculty and staff at the UIUC by fostering collaborative relationships and partnerships within the community.  For more information about OVP, visit http://www.union.illinois.edu/ovp.

###

THANKSGIVING BASKET DRIVE EXTENDED TO THIS TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 20th
Each fall, through the Thanksgiving Care Basket Drive, the Illini Union Office of Volunteer Programs (OVP) collects laundry baskets filled with every non-perishable item that a family might need to prepare a Thanksgiving Dinner, and a $25 gift card for perishable items.
Imagine being unable to have a Thanksgiving meal. Grab your friends, family, co-workers: put 18 food items, $25 gift card and treats together to make one (or more) baskets. Hunger is a daily reality for 1 in 4 children in our area.

Drop full baskets off to OVP (288 Illini Union South - Quad side) now through 2:00 PM Tuesday, November 20th and make a Thanksgiving dinner possible for a family in need this holiday season! ORDER BASKETS THROUGH THE QUAD SHOP for only $40, a savings of $25 compared to individual item purchases!
Go to http://go.illinois.edu/basket to: download a list of items to be included in each basket, to register to donate multiple baskets, and for a snapshot of the impact of this drive.