[IMC] Food and Water Watch campaign kickoff meeting in Champaign-Urbana!

Hanna Saltzman hanna at greencorps.org
Thu Sep 6 17:10:02 UTC 2012

Hello!

My name is Hanna and I am an environmental organizer for Food and Water
Watch, the national organization working to protect our food and water
resources. I just moved into town last week to start up a sustainable
food campaign here in Champaign-Urbana.

We are working to get genetically engineered foods labeled in Illinois.
My office is in the IMC, and so I wanted to introduce myself to you all
and invite you to our exciting *campaign kickoff meeting!* Information
about the meeting is written below. Let me know if you have any
questions, and (especially since I'm new here) please pass this email
along to anyone else who might be interested in getting involved with
this important campaign!

All the best,
Hanna Saltzman*

Do you have a right to know what's in your food?*

Our answer is yes. At Food and Water Watch, we're launching the "Let Me
Decide" campaign to require the labeling of genetically engineered (GE)
foods in Illinois. We, as consumers, should have a choice whether or not
to eat potentially harmful GE foods. Join the Champaign-Urbana community
at this exciting campaign kickoff meeting.RSVP TODAY.
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dDd5eGprV01WSlZyTVFMODY4NGdkU3c6MA>

*Campaign Kickoff Meeting**-- _RSVP TODAY_
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dDd5eGprV01WSlZyTVFMODY4NGdkU3c6MA>*<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dDd5eGprV01WSlZyTVFMODY4NGdkU3c6MA>
*When:Wednesday,Sept 19th, 7:00-8:00pm*
*Where: Urbana Free Library, 210 W. Green Street, Urbana*
*What:*Learn more about this important grassroots campaign to label
genetically engineered foods in Illinois and how you can help us win.
Definitely bring friends and family! Let's build a powerful community of
people standing up and saying we have the right to know what's in our food.

Learn more about GE foods atfoodandwaterwatch.org
<http://www.foodandwaterwatch.org/food/genetically-engineered-foods/>
Questions? Contact Hanna at_hanna at greencorps.org_

*Campaign background information:*

Around 90 percent of corn and soy in America---which are the key
ingredients in most processed foods---is genetically engineered. There
are no long term health studies to show these foods are safe to eat or
safe for the environment. And yet, the industries that develop these
foods aren't required to tell consumers what they're eating.

So at Food and Water Watch, we're working to get genetically engineered
foods labeled in Illinois, so that we, as consumers can decide whether
or not to eat these foods. Just as labels list fat, sodium and sugar,
labels should tell the buyer whether or not the product includes
potentially unsafe genetically engineered ingredients.

Every day, more and more people are exposed to potentially unsafe health
impacts, so we need to get these foods labeled now. To introduce a bill
during the next Senate session that makes labeling the law, we need a
commitment from our state representatives by the end of this year. If we
build a groundswell of public support, our state representatives will
listen to us. With enough pressure from people like you who live in this
area--when enough people like you speak up--we will win. *We need your
help right now.***