[IMC] No gridlock but Immigration issue still important in UC on April 10th

Ricardo Diaz diazr at cuimmigrationforum.org
Wed Apr 10 15:00:39 UTC 2013

Greetings:

Perhaps the the immigration issue did not make it to your top 5 today
(again?) but in DC, they expect gridlock in the Metro:
​
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dr-gridlock/wp/2013/04/09/metro-to-boost-service-for-immigration-rally/
​
Locally, our group has been planning this march and vigil for a couple of
months and it will happen rain or shine.

Should you choose to cover it today, I'm sure the tie-in with the national
press will have relevancy. The Senate's bill is expected this week and then
the issue won't go away for a while.

​###
Press Release: Local groups gather to rally for comprehensive immigration
reform

For Immediate Release, April 5, 2013

Who: C-U Immigration Forum

What: On Wednesday, April 10th more than two dozen local organizations and
congregations will hold a candlelight vigil and march to underscore the
need for
Comprehensive Immigration Reform (CIR). The event, which is entitled "Light
the
Pathway to Citizenship - Don't Block It" is just one of dozens of events
taking place
on that day as part of a National Day of Action across the country to build
support for
CIR in communities throughout the nation.

Details: The event will begin at 5:30 PM at the University Y (1001 South
Wright Street).
>From there we will march to the Unitarian Universalist Church, home of the
East Central
Illinois Refugee Mutual Assistance Center (ECIRMAC) at 309 West Green,
Urbana for a
brief rally before proceeding to the federal Courthouse in downtown Urbana.

"We want to demonstrate to our elected officials that there is broad
community support
for Comprehensive Immigration Reform," explained Ricardo Diaz, a member of
the
Steering Committee of the C-U Immigration Forum who is organizing the
event. "There
is growing consensus in our country that the time has come to fix our
broken immigration
system and provide a pathway to citizenship to the many undocumented
immigrants
living in and contributing to the vitality of our community."

Background: The November elections reset the national debate on immigration
reform forcing even the most ardent opponents of immigration reform to
reconsider
their position. As a result there is a narrow more window of opportunity to
make
Comprehensive Immigration Reform (CIR) a reality and provide a pathway to
citizenship
for millions of our family, friends and neighbors. The Champaign-Urbana
Immigration
Forum is a group of immigrants, students, clergy, service providers, labor
union
representatives, residents and community organizations concerned about the
progress
and plight of immigrants in the Champaign County community works to:

celebrate the diversity and culture that immigrants contribute to our
community;

educate the public about issues that affect local immigrant communities;

advocate for the rights of immigrants and encourage their full
participation in
civic, cultural, social and political life in our community;

promote permanent and positive changes that will improve the quality of
life for
immigrants in our community; and

organize for policies that lead to just and humane treatment to all
immigrants that
are part of our community.

Website: http://immigration-forum.blogspot.com/

Contact: Ricardo Diaz, [rdiaz at cuimmigrationforum.org, 217-979-0255]
###​

Ricardo Diaz
217-979-0255

April 10th Light the Path to Citizenship, don't block it!

​
KICK OFF MARCH @5:30 PM
UNIVERSITY YMCA-UIUC, 1001 S. WRIGHT ST, CHAMPAIGN

RALLY @6:00 PM
UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST CHURCH, 309 W. GREEN ST,
URBANA

CLOSING RALLY & CANDLELIGHT VIGIL 6:30 PM @
FEDERAL COURTHOUSE, 201 S VINE ST, URBANA

​
​JOIN THE EVENT​
​​https://www.facebook.com/events/142839945897266/?ref=22​

​
CUimmigrationforum.org

The Champaign-Urbana Immigration Forum is composed of immigrants, students,
local clergy, service providers, labor unions representatives and ordinary
citizens concerned about the plight and contributions of immigrants in the