[IMC] Setting priorities and developing a theory of change for UCIMC

Danielle Chynoweth chyn at ojctech.com
Tue Jan 22 15:41:41 UTC 2013

Change is in the air!

This Spring, we will continue to build on the IMC vision session from last
Fall through the Programming Committee.

Here are two tools to consider :

*1. Strategy Screen*

Look over the strategy
screen<http://alliedmedia.org/news/2012/01/22/amp-strategy-screen> of
our ally in Detroit: Allied Media Project - they provide a great example.

This is a tool we can build to help us focus our efforts and resources in
choosing opportunities and how to respond to invitations.  There has been
talk of being stretched too thin - especially our staff and core
volunteers. This strategy screen can help us prioritize: which conferences
to attend, what grants to apply for, what partnership requests to give time
to.

*2. Theory of Change*
*
*
When Indymedia and Urbana IMC was first created in the mid 90s, there were
no blogs or open publishing systems.  Media was centralized and it was
impossible to tell our stories online without a professional web developer
helping us.  Urbana IMC's theory of change was based around access. Things
have changed and we need to go beyond access to engagement.  We need a new
theory of change to fit this historical moment.  I'd like us to work on
this in the programming committee.
*
*
*Here is the Allied Media Project's Theory of Change as an example:*
*Media-based community organizing is a process of speaking and listening as
a community  in order to investigate the problems that shape our realities,
imagine other realities and then work together to make them real.  When we
use media in this way, we build new kinds of relationships.  We transform
ourselves from consumers of information to producers, from objects within
narratives of exploitation and violence to active subjects in the
transformation of the world.  *
*
*
*Looking forward to talking more. Feel free to post responses to this
thread.*
*
*
*- Danielle*
*
*
--
To tell the truth is to become beautiful, to begin to love yourself, value
yourself. And that's political, in its most profound way.