[IMC] [Imc-tenants] BUILDING SECURITY/DOOR LOCKING

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 22 19:40:12 UTC 2013

Having dealt with this issue on and off myself since opening the
building in 2005, I'll offer some insights and suggestions.

The main point of entry that has the most effect on the greatest number
of building users is the postal lobby. In the past, it was our belief
that this area needed 24/7 access because of postal business. I seem to
recall that being in the purchase agreement, but not sure about our
current lease with the PO. If it is confirmed by contact with the
postmaster that this is no longer necessary, then we should establish
what hours the lobby needs to be open, then reconfigure the west door so
it can be locked when the lobby is closed.  There may need to be some
modification of access for authorized afterhours IMC/RFU/tenant use
there or elsewhere, but that is itself complicated by other issues that
need resolved...

Speaking of that afterhours use, we have been very flexible about it
with working groups and tenants. The building is zoned for business, so
overnights in the building are already somewhat of a gray area, unless
clearly work-related -- and not for sleeping in any case. Any use for
sleeping, residential use of any kind -- even by tenants with a lease --
is forbidden (or at least it was before in IMC leases and I don't think
that's changed). One way to deal with this would be to lock all outside
doors on a separate key and/or central locking system so that access to
the building is restricted to between appropriate hours. A set closed
period each night will likely be too inflexible, so more expensive
individualized access with likely be needed if going that route.

Obviously, since the building has to provide for fire exit 24/7, people
can stay in the building, then let people in afterhours. A security
system tied to building access may not initially avoid that, but it will
quickly allow identification of those responsible. So would having that
system handle keys as access cards, which would log building entry
individually and allow deactivation of access when no longer authorized
. So would 24/7 video-recording on the entry/exit doors. Some of these
solutions probably go beyond what IMC folks are comfortable with -- and
all will cost money -- but after almost a decade, I think it's starting
to come down to what we must do, if the problem can't be solved by other
less intrusive means.

Most of these problems can be attributed to those with authorized IMC
access permitting others who do not into the building afterhours. Some
of it may be innocent oversights, but it's been too consistent a pattern
over the years if it's still going on now to really be "innocent"
oversights at this point.  It's also a problem which can be
comprehensively solved with authroized users cooperation without
spending tons of money on security systems.

I completely understand we have member/tenants who believe that they
must help those in need, regardless of the consequences. Perhaps there
finally need to be consequences for such abusive behavior toward the IMC
and its members and tenants, though? In each and every case where
someone does this, they are personally responsible for any thing these
unauthorized folks are up to, because they are also compromising the
efforts of the IMC to provide a secure, safe building even if these
people turn out to be trustworthy. They've likely always told themselves
these folks let in are trustworthy, but given what's been going on,
their judgment on this is seriously flawed.

One thing's for sure if you are letting folks into the building
overnight...You should brief them that it's a really bad idea to be
pushing their unauthorized behavior/presence so far that people feel
they're getting to the point of threatening to call law enforcement on
them. We're generally folks who prefer more peaceful ways to resolve
conflict. But people that stupid clearly aren't thinking of resolving
their problem of nighttime accommodation by acting in that sort of
reasonable manner towards others surprised and disturbed by their
presence at odd hours. And it's exactly how many blocks to the cop
shop...? Yeah, 2 blocks.

Some may bristle at the term abusive, but that's what in fact letting
unauthorized folks into the building overnight is. Such use compromises
the security of all other users of the building, as well as putting the
IMC at risk as an organization. Discussions with them in the past seemed
to bring results (I'm not going to name names here, but will for the BoD
if requested). That may work or may lead to the same promises of change,
but lack of it (hey, we've got a president in DC for that)  we've
received before. Fact is, it's a violation of their leases and grounds
for termination of their lease on terms that will be unfavorable to
them. I'd hate to think that it comes down to eviction as our solution
for dealing with society's problems of homelessness. Continuance of
existing patterns of abuse will likely mandate such eviction, especially
if we want to try to avoid more generally expensive and intrusive
measures such as 24/7 video surveillance of controlled building
entrances. Those responsible need to seriously consider whether that's
what they intend to happen by allowing such access.

Russell,
The suggestions below are mostly a guide to things you could likely do
now, while you await further guidance on whether more robust measures
are needed.

I think your strategy of coming by during the night at random to assess
the situation and provide info on what's going on is a good first step,
although obviously a hassle for you. I think it would be a good idea if
others can support you in this. Maybe some others are up overnight and
could assist? I'm a victim of several sleeping disorders that often
leave me being up at odd hours. I may just start dropping by myself at
random overnight when I can't sleep, because coming in and wandering the
halls I've been down 100s of times will make me sleepy eventually -- and
being so close it would be easy to drop by and do exactly that...and
pass along to those who need to know what I find.

In fact, I'd suggest that anyone other than Russell who encounters
issues such as these to communicate them -offlist- to him, Carol, the
BoD, or whoever they think is most appropriate to let know (for
instance, B2P or other tenants may want someone within their own smaller
group notified and then that person is the point person on this issue to
represent the group higher up in the IMC food chain). I think we'll then
have an even better idea of what's happening if more people are involved
and there are more facts documented and less rumor when things happen.

Another helpful thing would be to clearly establish what times each
entrance is supposed to be locked, and have that clearly posted by each
entrance. You'll likely have to check with Carol and/or the BoD on what
those hours should be. It wouldn't surprise me if no one even knows what
the open vs locked hours should be based on legitimate use, so that'll
be the first step to officially establish in any case. That way, when
unlocked doors are encountered, people will know that it SHOULD be
locked based on the signage.  It should be posted on BOTH side of the
door. Then they can use their key to lock it immediately if found
unlocked when it shoudn't be. This will also help frustrate some of the
abuses I've noted above with doors being left purposefully or
irresponsibly unlocked to facilitate unauthorized access until that
situation sorts itself out. Please note that this suggestion is NOT
about restricting what hours people can be in the building for currently
authorized use, but simply about which doors will be locked and when.
Mike Lehman