[IMC] Exit/QUAD DAY

Raymond Morales rmorales02 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 00:34:07 UTC 2013

Dear RFU,

I am e-mailing you all to report that I am stepping down as RFU Station
Manager (as if I was really doing anything anyway). I mentioned this
previously, but I wanted to officially step down by the end of the month.

Along with that, I wanted to indicate that we need a renewed effort for
Quad Day in August. I can't stress the significance of this event. This is
RFU's and IMC's only chance at effective member recruitment each year. If
we are ineffective AGAIN, then we will have the same outcomes. To repeat
for the umpteenth time, we need a laptop with a spreadsheet there. We need
a pre-drafted e-mail (2-3 paragraphs MAXIMUM) with information on the
upcoming meetings for September (time, date and location) for all
subgroups. On Quad Day, potential members should be sent the e-mail AS SOON
AS THEY SIGN UP and not more than 1 hour later. Along with that, during
recruitment, the booth members should not be overbearing with information.
Speak in generalities about opportunities - be a part of radio, print and
art that is socially relevant. While people may want to join, if you tell
them about every single injustice and every little detail, you will
bore/frighten/drain/deter people from signing up. I can't overstate this
last point enough. These are young people with a lot of time and energy who
can support the IMC. If you try to guilt them into participating or convey
how they really need to get involved, then it WON'T WORK! Seriously. Tone
it down like 1000x. And when you're done, tone it down about 1000x more and
you will probably be near good. That's it. I'm out.

Sincerely,

Raymond Morales, Ph.D.
MD Candidate Class of 2014

ILL POETS SOCIETY project, Executive Producer
Snippet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HffBKbcnWls

Executive Producer & Host, The Show
www.theshow1045.com