[IMC] FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: 40 North Announces New After-School Arts Program

Amanda Baker abaker at 40north.org
Wed Jul 31 19:28:12 UTC 2013

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: July 31, 2013
Contact: Kelly White, Executive Director: kwhite at 40north.org<mailto:kwhite at 40north.org>
40 North | 88 West - Champaign County Arts Council
106 S. Neil St., Champaign, IL 61820, ph. 217.351.9841 www.40north.org<http://www.40north.org>

40 North Announces New After-School Arts Program
New program is a collaboration between 40 North, Edison Middle School, Champaign Public Library, I.D.E.A. Store, and the University of Illinois Art Education Department

Champaign, IL - 40 North | 88 West - Champaign County Arts Council - is proud to announce a new after-school program focused on providing fine arts education to Edison Middle School students for the 2013-14 school year.

This new program is generously supported by the Lumpkin Family Foundation, and is a collaboration between 40 North, Edison Middle School, Champaign Public Library, I.D.E.A. Store, and the University of Illinois Art Education Department.

The program's objectives include: providing access to a variety of arts production and creative problem solving opportunities; giving students a more appropriate personal voice; helping develop their leadership and collaboration skills; and encouraging family support and enthusiasm for arts education.

"I am very excited about being able to offer this new and engaging arts program for Edison students who might not otherwise have access to after school activities," said Shauna Carey, 40 North Board Member. "As the 40 North Arts Education Committee chair, my primary goal has been to increase 40 North's collaborative involvement with the schools and our families. The Lumpkin family has made it possible for us to achieve a step toward that goal."

The after-school classes will be taught starting in September through May. There will be two separate art classes each week at two different sites. Twenty to twenty-five students will meet weekly after school in the Edison Middle School art room with art teacher Lolita Zwettler.

A second group of 20-25 students will meet weekly with Emily Denis, a graduate student at the University of Illinois Art Education department, in the I.D.E.A. Store classroom. The curriculum will focus on sustainability, and reuse of less traditional art materials. Students will be exposed to unusual materials and new construction techniques and skills.

Students in both groups will work on a variety of individual and group projects, all emphasizing creative thinking, skill building, and themes grounded in the students' backgrounds and experiences.

A large group activity, open to students beyond the core group, will take place once a month at the Champaign Public Library.

"Thanks to the Lumpkin Family Foundation, this grant will provide 40 North with the opportunity to not only fulfill our commitment to the arts education component of our overall mission, but also to directly engage and motivate these students with hands-on, real-world activities that encourage their critical thinking, problem solving, and creative expression through art production," said Kelly White, 40 North Executive Director.
###

40 North | 88 West
40 North - Champaign County Arts Council - is dedicated to cultivating creativity in Champaign County. Through advocacy, information and collaboration, 40 North works to stimulate a vibrant, thriving environment for the arts, culture and education essential to the quality of life in Champaign County. For more info, visit www.40north.org<http://www.40north.org>.

This program is partially supported by a grant from the Illinois Arts Council, a state agency.

Amanda Baker
Programs and Events Coordinator
40 North | 88 West - Champaign County Arts Council
106 South Neil Street
Champaign, IL 61820
phone 217.363.3795
fax 217.398.3037