[IMC] Access problem

Robin Arbiter robin6a at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 3 00:36:22 UTC 2013

To Whomever Reads This,
I attempted to access the IMC building for the purpose of collecting mail for a group I'm part of this past Saturday morning. I went to the south side of the building where the entrance to the lift is located. The outside door was locked, an no one responded when I pushed the buzzer near the door. I went to the front of the building and asked a person leaving if he would notify the postal worker that I required access. He left and came back to say the worker said the lift was out of order. Because I was expecting something critical in the mail and had traveled by bus to get it, I asked a stranger to retrieve the mail for me.
The lift was also out of order several months ago, when I wanted to attend an event at the IMC.
I don't know how long the lift's been out of order or whether there is a recurring problem with it. I was disappointed when I couldn't attend an IMC event a few months ago. But I am really much more frustrated at not being able to retrieve mail, and by the lack of notice on the door that the lift is unavailable. I expect you understand the importance of accessibility to federal services for people with disabilities (I use a wheelchair), and ADA access. If the building is exempt, or if the post office inside of it is exempt, I would like to understand the reason. If it's not, I'd like to know what it will take for me to be able to access the building in a predictable way.
Thank you.
Robin Arbiter
(217) 344-2005