[IMC] Access problem

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 4 04:00:49 UTC 2013

Hi Robin,
I can't speak to the specifics of the current status of the lift, since
I'm not actively involved in building maintenance right now. However, I
can give you the historic background, which might be a starting point to
try to improve access as it stands now.

The lift remains Post Office property and is their responsibility as far
as maintenance is concerned. There are three reasons for this, which wa
s written into the sale and lease documents when the building was
purchased by the IMC and the PO leased back space to continue the
service window and PO box operations.

First, the PO provides us with the magnificent sum of $1 a year for the
10-year life of the current lease. They paid us up front for the whole
term, but even wisely invested it provides no significant income from PO
use of the property.

Second, the lift can only provide service when the PO lobby is open. For
security reasons, the entire PO lobby is locked and closed afterhours.
While it can be used to access the rest of the building when the PO is
open, the lift is otherwise locked.

Third, in light of the first two points and the fact that we felt the PO
would have both the deep pockets and legal obligation to service the
lift, it was best to leave it in PO hands. Obviously, that has worked
less well lately as the PO struggles financially. I'm fairly certain
they're deferring servicing the lift because of that.

Contacting the Postmaster is probably your best bet in terms of learning
what their plans are. If it was a part they were waiting on, it should
have arrived by now, etc, etc. And I'm fairly certain their
responsibility to provide access requires them to address this. In any
case, the lift is only available to access the rest of the building when
the PO is open.

As for the rest of the IMC building, we have plans but not much to show
in terms of results due to limited funding. We eventually want to make
the basement accessible by rebuilding at least one of the entrances so
it is served by a ramp. Likewise, we plan to improve the very limited
access that exists to the first floor. The second floor is unlikely to
become accessible, because it is broken up in three different levels, so
even an elevator would provide only very limited additional access,
depending on where it was located. We were quoted around $250,000 to
install an elevator, so that seems rather impractical, given the minor gain.

As I noted, there is limited access to the first floor and it often
depends on having a chair that is unpowered due to the limited turning
area involved. This is not a good situation, but it's what the
building's legacy left us. There is a set of double doors on the south
side of the building. These open to a ramp. But the ramp takes you to an
entrance that requires two 90 degree turns with very limited space to
maneuver and getting through a door that is relatively narrow. All of
the doors involved are manual and have no auto-openers. Essentially,
this option is available only for those with chairs small enough to
navigate the south entrance's restricted facilities and who can call
ahead and contact someone inside the IMC to assist them with the doors
or who bring along someone to help with the doors.

We do have an accessible restroom on the first floor, installed during
the conversion process, so we are making incremental progress when we
get the chance.

I've been involved in doing what was within our resources to improve
accessibility since we opened the original Main St location, where I
built a ramp  to deal with the step at the entrance there. Accessibility
improvements are made whenever the opportunity presents itself, as we're
acutely aware of the building's deficiencies in this regard. I do know
that plans are being made to seek city grant funding to make some
repairs and improvements. I'm not currently involved in that, but in the
past the plan was to try to address some of the access issues in
connection with such work and I presume that's still the case.

So that's the background on access at the IMC building. Others can
better address the current situation with the lift and the potential for
improvements to access elsewhere in the building. If your chair is able
to navigate the south entrance, then making arrangements to visit should
be possible, even if not up to where we hope to be. If it's not able to
make the turns, then access is limited to when the lift is working and
the PO lobby is open. We need to do better.
Mike  Lehman
(who's not officially speaking for anyone but himself here, but who
probably knows this history better than most)