[IMC] Champaign Schools to Host Dedication of Westview Elementary School

Stephanie Stuart stuartst at champaignschools.org
Tue Sep 24 14:30:24 UTC 2013

Champaign Schools will hold a dedication ceremony at the newly renovated Westview Elementary School on Tuesday, October 22 from 6:30-8:00 p.m.

"We are excited to welcome the public into the renovated Westview," said Superintendent Dr. Judy Wiegand. "We have been able to do incredible work on some of our elementary schools thanks to support from the community. The school has been transformed from a sixty-year old facility into a true 21st Century learning environment for our students."

Westview, which was originally built in 1950, underwent a $7.6 million expansion and renovation during the 2012-2013 school year and re-opened its doors to students in August. Features of the renovated school include a secured front entrance and new security system, separate gym/cafeteria, updated technology, improved ADA accessibility, and updated classrooms.

This project, as well as others taking place at Champaign's elementary schools, have been funded through the county-wide 1% sales tax. The Promises Made, Promises Kept Committee, which is comprised of community members and District employees, ensures that the District uses the funds on school facilities as promised to the taxpayers.

A ribbon cutting ceremony will be held at 6:30 p.m. followed by student tours of the building and a reception. Speakers will include Principal Sean Morrison, Superintendent Dr. Judy Wiegand, and Board President Laurie Bonnett. The public is invited and encouraged to attend.

Stephanie Stuart
Community Relations Coordinator
Champaign Unit #4 School District
217-531-0252