[IMC] New 2014 Chicago Media List: a free resource from @OCPress & HammerHard MediaWorks

Rachael P plusssone at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 22:42:36 EDT 2014

*OCPress* <https://twitter.com/ocpress> & *HammerHard
MediaWorks*<http://hammerhard.org/> are
proud to release our *2014 Chicago Media List*, a free resource for the
metro grassroots community -- with verified contacts for 400+ local news
professionals, 50 new national contacts, and outlets' and reporters'
twitter handles.

*How to use this list:* You can find instructions for sending press
releases and a host of other PR tips in our step-by-step instructional
guides: *Occupythe Media! Press Relations 101 for Activists
<http://www.tinyurl.com/omwmedia> *and *PR 201 - How to Break News
<http://www.tinyurl.com/pr201>*.

*Twitter - Changing the PR game one tweet at a time: *We've added twitter
handles to our list -- because today, news breaks on Twitter. Reporters,
editors, producers and photographers use the social media "micro-blogging"
platform to keep up with daily events and share their work. It's a much
more personal form of communication than email, and we've seen great
results from Twitter communications.

It's easy to get started:

   - *Follow the Chicago media.* Sign in to your org's account and visit
   @OCPress' list of Chicago News
Professionals<https://twitter.com/ocpress/chi-news-professionals>.
   On the left, click "List Members" and follow away!

   - *Tweet your events and press releases at key media.* Tweeting to the
   general account of a media organization (ie @suntimes) is not effective.
   Instead, tweet your release to key reporters and editors. At the Sun Times,
   you might try tweeting at News Editor Stefano Esposito (@slesposito), or
   Urban Affairs Reporter/Assistant City Editor Maudlyne Ihejirka
   (@maudlynei).

Here's an example of a Twitter "press release": *http://bit.ly/1ihCeWl
<http://bit.ly/1ihCeWl>* ... which resulted in this article about an hour
later: *http://bit.ly/1fZgXA3 <http://bit.ly/1fZgXA3>*

Another media alert sent via twitter: *http://bit.ly/1mTwjh9
<http://bit.ly/1mTwjh9>* ... which produced this article: *http://bit.ly/1kBakr4
<http://bit.ly/1kBakr4>*

   - *Tweet your coverage.* When you do, be sure to give credit to the news
   organization and author. This is common courtesy, and also lets reporters
   know you appreciate their coverage. A few examples:

Students seek to further regulate @UChicago police:
http://hpherald.com/2014/03/12/students-seek-to-further-regulate-u-of-c-police/
 by @ReporterWelbers via @HydeParkHerald pic.twitter.com/Z80WKc7vmw

Rahm Emanuel's #Chicago, a tale of two cities:
http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/02/opinion/coval-chicagoland-rahm-emanuel/index.html?sr=sharebar_twitter
via
@kevincoval @cnn | cc @RahmEmanuelpic.twitter.com/ZzAfR330Bb

*Rachael Perrotta* (@plussone) is a seasoned PR pro and spokesperson with
over a decade of experience in strategic media planning, tactics and
training - and the lead manager for the @OCPress Chicago Media List &
Activist Newswire. Her PR and social media consultations and workshops are
free for progressive projects - and she's particularly committed to working
with youth-lead grassroots groups without significant funding. She
currently works in financial services marketing. www.about.me/plussone

*Chris Geovanis* (@heavyseas) has more than 20 years of experience as an
advocacy journalist, writer, photographer and communications professional
in government, academia, business, the non-profit sector -- and, of course,
the street. She's available as a pro bono media consultant and trainer -
and also takes story pitches - for progressive grassroots groups and
struggles. Capitalists: you gotta pay to play. www.about.me/chrisgeovanis