[IMC] Press Release: Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. Presents- Re-enactment of the Women's Suffrage March

Ashley Walls ashleyscwalls at gmail.com
Fri Feb 28 21:54:17 UTC 2014

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Gail Hankins

Social Action Co-Chair

GailH at sucss.state.il.us

*Re-enactment of the Women's Suffrage March on Washington, D.C.*

Saturday March 8, 2013

11:00AM - 1:30PM

Independent Media Center

202 S. Broadway Ave. Urbana, IL

*Urbana, IL-* February 28, 2014

The Women of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc., Champaign-Urbana Alumnae and
Alpha Nu Chapters are gearing up to host the second Re-enactment of the
Women's Suffrage March in Urbana. With domestic violence rates soaring in
Champaign-Urbana in recent years, we aim to spark an end to the cycle. Our
biggest hope is to raise awareness, and support for domestic violence
victims and their loved ones.

The program is co-sponsored by the Bruce D. Nesbitt African American
Cultural Center (BNAACC), U of I Counseling Center and MENgageMENT. There
will be a special presentation from Molly McLay, Assistant Director of The
Women's Resources Center at the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign.
She will provide statistics on domestic violence as well as offer resources
to past and present victims of domestic violence.  Students from local
elementary and high schools will also perform. All are encouraged to join
us in the march and stay for the presentations.

We also invite the Champaign-Urbana community to a poster making session on
Thursday March 6 from 3:00-6:00pm at the Bruce D. Nesbitt African American
Cultural Center located at 708 S. Mathews Urbana, IL. The posters made on
March 6 will be used in the re-enactment on March 8, 2014 at 11:00am at the
Independent Media Center in Urbana, IL.

Please see the attached flyer for more events.

The Re-Enactment of the Women's Suffrage March is also one of the 40 days
of nonviolence events hosted by the Black Greek Alumnae Association *(a
coalition of all Black Greek Alumni Chapters serving East Central Illinois*).

For any questions, please contact Gail Hankins at GailH at sucss.state.il.us

We hope to see you there!

DELTA SIGMA THETA SORORITY, INC. is a non- profit public service sorority
that is based on Christian principles. These events are free and open to
the public. For more information, follow us on Twitter: *@* DSTCUAlumnae;
like our facebook group: *Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. Champaign-Urbana
Alumnae Chapter*; or visit our
website:*www.dstcualumnaechapter.org*<http://www.dstcualumnaechapter.org/>
 .

[image: Inline image 2]