[IMC] Organizing Monthly Urbana Art Walk

Jan Chandler heartland.gallery.urbana at gmail.com
Sat May 10 19:46:48 EDT 2014

Hello Shawna,
As Carolyn already mentioned, I closed my Urbana storefront gallery this
past December, and have since moved to a couple of small spaces that I now
rent inside other businesses in Champaign and Tuscola. My Urbana gallery
was open for almost 7.5 years, and I tried every possible way that I know
of to draw interest from the community by holding special events (e.g.
regular monthly art openings, concerts, poetry readings, open house events,
festivals, etc.), None of these were what I'd call successful in terms of
drawing a large crowd or increasing my sales, though the people who
attended enjoyed these events very much. We (the Urbana gallery owners) did
collectively try having art walks on weekday evenings, and on Saturday
afternoons in the summer months and also in the fall and winter months at
various times, but again, they never seemed to catch on. We got tired of
trying, and we didn;t receive much help from the UBA, or The City of
Urbana, so we literally gave up. I hope you can change this, though the
number of active galleries is considerably less than it was at this time a
year ago. As an Urbana resident, I would appreciate being able to attend
this type of event, even though I cannot participate any longer as a venue.

Jan Chandler
Heartland Gallery
(217)377-4502

--