[IMC] U-Illinois Vet Student Club Event Booking / RFU Simulcast

Stuart Levy salevy at illinois.edu
Wed Dec 9 17:47:38 EST 2015

Something to keep in mind, when feeding from the IMC stage to WRFU: the
audio level is very low, much lower than from the other sources in WRFU
(the studio mics, or the feed from the studio computer).     It was hard
to hear the anniversary broadcast, even with my WRFU receiver cranked to
its loudest, unless someone was speaking clearly right into one of the
stage mics.

It helps a lot to raise the gain of everything in the path that you
can.   That means -

on the IMC sound board:
    since the WRFU feed goes through the board's "AUX 3" output, turn
that corresponding AUX knob 'way up
    for the individual audio source channels you're using, turn their
gain knobs in the AUX 3 row up too
    set the sliders for the source channels high (and reduce the gain to
the main stage speakers to compensate)
in the WRFU studio:
    set the studio knob for input 3 up to its highest

and see what you get.   It'll be important to test with a WRFU receiver,
and realistic inputs - both faint inputs to see whether they're loud
enough, and loud inputs to see whether they're too loud and might get
distorted (in which case try turning some of the above knobs back down).

We didn't do most of that for the IMC anniversary broadcast - just
tested whether we could hear anything at all, and raised the level on
the WRFU studio end, and left it at that in the rush to do other things.