[IMC] A Child Grows Up to Change the System: Wandjell Harvey Robinson's Story

Media Action Grassroots Network webmaster at mediajustice.org
Thu Dec 17 15:58:44 EST 2015

Media Action Grassroots Network [ http://mag-net.org/ ]

    Media Action
    Grassroots
    Network

Hi Supporter -

Wandjell Harvey Robinson is a young woman from my community here in central Illinois. Having recently made a bid for Miss Illinois, Wandjell is hoping to transfer from our community college to an HBCU (Historically Black College/University) and become a doctor.

This woman can do anything she puts her mind to - including helping to rein in the same prison profiteers  who kept her from communicating with her family as a kid.

When Wandjell was in third grade, both her parents were incarcerated. "The cost of phone calls to get the love and support I need were so high that it caused my relationship with her parents to slowly diminish," she shared.

Ten years later she finally got a chance to do something about this problem - still faced by the  2.7 million children who have parents behind bars. I was with Wandjell in Washington DC recently as she spoke to members of the Federal Communications Commission.

*Donate today and help family members like Wandjell tell their stories directly to decision makers.* [ https://magnet-cmj.nationbuilder.com/donate ]

The trip was made possible by MAG-Net - the Media Action Grassroots Network - a network of over 150 social justice groups who understand that media policy change is necessary for social change.

Local MAG-Net members have been working for prison phone justice for a decade - including our hometown of Champaign-Urbana where we fought and won a new contract for phone calls from our jail in 2008.

*Donate today. [ https://magnet-cmj.nationbuilder.com/donate ]*

But it was not until we banded together through MAG-Net that we were able to move mountains. Through MAG-Net, family members of the incarcerated, who have had billions of dollars taken by this prison phone racket, were able to speak directly with decision makers, the press, and others affected.

In October, the FCC listened and brought relief to these families, with a historic vote for prison phone justice.

At the year comes to a close, please consider a donation to help MAG-Net continue to speak truth to power, telling stories and changing the policy that affects our lives.

*Join me in donating to thank MAG-Net for bringing us together to win big for all our communities. [ https://magnet-cmj.nationbuilder.com/donate ]*

In Solidarity,
Danielle Chynoweth, Organizing Director, Center for Media Justice

Connect with Us

Facebook [ https://www.facebook.com/MediaActionGrassrootsNetwork?fref=ts ] Twitter [ https://twitter.com/mediaaction ] YouTube [ https://www.youtube.com/user/MediaJusticeChannel ]

Media Action Grassroots Network
www.mag-net.org [ http://www.mag-net.org ]