[IMC] 48HFP Newsletter: Return of the Horror Project, Hacking Kickstarter, #48HFPAdvice, and more

48 Hour Film Project markandliz at 48hourfilm.com
Fri Jul 31 15:25:55 EDT 2015

48 Hour Film Project Newsletter
July 2015
Editor: Brian Bowers

[1][jpeg]

July 48HFP Newsletter

Return Of The 48HFP Horror Project, Plus New Genre Competitions

Recent City Winners

#48HFPAdvice

48HFP Movie Gallery

Upcoming Tour Dates

Hacking Kickstarter For Filmmakers (Part One)

Return Of The 48HFP Horror Project, Plus New Genre Competitions

Hearts will race. Palms will sweat. Sheer terror will drip from every pore.
Don't go into that theatre alone--the 48HFP Horror Project is waiting for
you just around the corner! This now annual special 48HFP genre competition
is now in its third year. The Horror Project works just like the regular
48HFP, but instead of the more "traditional" genres, filmmakers select from
categories like Creature Feature, B-Horror, Ghost Film, and other creepy
subgenres of horror. The official 48HFP Horror Project weekend for 2015 is
October 16th-18th, however there may be a number of cities that will host
their competition on different dates due to the timing of their regular
48HFP competition. One great new twist--the winning 48HFP Horror Project
film in each participating city will screen at next year's [2]Filmapalooza!

New for 2015: 48HFP Poli-Com and Sci-Fi Projects

In addition to the Horror Project we'll be welcoming a couple of new
genre-based 48HFP competitions into the fold. In September, Washington D.C.
will host the first [3]48HFP Politics & Comedy Project. Teams will draw two
genres -- a political genre and a comedy genre, and then choose between the
two. We think this will be a great way to highlight both the intrigue and
comedy of daily life on Capitol Hill in true 48HFP fashion. In select
cities we will also roll out a 48HFP Sci-Fi Project. After polling
filmmakers, we discovered that people wanted more films about aliens,
time-travel, and superhero films. The 48HFP Sci-Fi Project will be rolling
out in several yet-to-be-announced cities later this year.

We'll have more information about these special 48HFP genre competitions in
the coming months, so make sure you stay tuned here for more information.
The 48HFP Poli-Com Project will launch in D.C. on September 25th-27th. In
addition, the following cities will host either a Horror or Sci-Fi Project
this year in addition to their regular 48HFP:

Albuquerque

Atlanta

Austin

Cleveland

Kansas City

Louisville

Miami

Minneapolis

Pittsburgh

Seattle

Recent City Winners

Congratulations to all of the films below that won Best 48HFP Film in their
city this year! All of these films will screen with other winners from
around the world at next year's [4]Filmapalooza.

Asheville

“Hair Today Gone Tomorrow”

Artivational

Atlanta

“FAWN”

The Full Lock Media Collective

Austin

“New Verve”

White Peak

Berlin

“Finding Sigi”

The Pit Stop

Boston

“Dynocorp”

The Studio

Cincinnati

“Face to Face”

Picture Remedy

Inland Empire

“FEARLESS”

dannyschrammfilms

Israel

“mini mental”

The Bar Mitzvah Boys

Jacksonville

“Dead Meat”

Napoleon Productions

Lisbon

“A Estreia”

Cinema Lovers

Miami

“Souvenir”

1310 Bandits

Milwaukee

“Little Gary's Mole”

Nice Melons Films

New York

“No Grapes No Glory”

Making Pretend

Salt Lake City

“Oblivious”

A Daley/Maxim Cinematic Experience

#48HFPAdvice

Get advice from actual 48HFP filmmakers using the #48HFPAdvice hashtag on
your favorite social media channel. Have a great tip to share with the rest
of the filmmaking world? Post or Tweet using the #48HFPAdvice hashtag and
maybe we'll feature your tip!
This month's tip comes from our Minneapolis 48HFP Producer Ryan
Strandjord--get more of his advice on crowdfunding your film in the article
below.

"Thunder and Ash"
by Atomic ProductionsSan Antonio, TX 48HFP 2014

[5]

"そんな愛の話/That Kind of Love Story" by Ten-Qu Osaka, JP 48HFP 2014[6]

48HFP Movie Gallery

"Chatroulette" by Team TransferBudapest, HU 48HFP 2014

[7]

[8][jpeg]

[9]Upcoming Tour Dates

When will the 48HFP be visiting your city? Check out our most recent tour
schedule below. August brings a full roster of some of our established
48HFP cities. Best of luck to filmmakers in Denver, Indianapolis, New
Haven, Oklahoma City, Portland (Maine), Portland (Oregon), and Tampa as we
wrap up our final weekend in July. Don't see your city listed below? Some
cities have yet to announce their competition dates--but you can view the
full schedule online at [10]http://48hourfilm.com/locations for the most
current dates. The 48HFP continues to grow each year; contact us at
[11]newcities at 48hourfilm.com if you live in a city that would be a great
addition to our tour.

July 31, 2015

* [12]Denver, CO
* [13]Indianapolis, IN
* [14]New Haven, CT
* [15]Oklahoma City, OK
* [16]Portland, ME
* [17]Portland, OR
* [18]Tampa, FL

August 7, 2015

* [19]Buffalo, NY
* [20]Charlotte, NC
* [21]Los Angeles, CA
* [22]Lynchburg, VA
* [23]Memphis, TN
* [24]San Jose, CA

August 14, 2015

* [25]Chicago, IL
* [26]Hampton Roads, VA
* [27]Houston, TX
* [28]Orlando, FL
* [29]Paducah, KY
* [30]San Antonio, TX

August 21, 2015

* [31]Madison, WI
* [32]Rotterdam, NL

September 4, 2015

* [33]Córdoba, AR
* [34]Johannesburg, ZA

September 11, 2015

* [35]Brisbane, AU

September 18, 2015

* [36]Prague, CZ
* [37]Toulouse, FR

September 25, 2015

* [38]London, GB
* [39]Paris, FR
* [40]Utrecht, NL
* [41]Warsaw, PL

October 2, 2015

* [42]Bratislava, SK
* [43]Curaçao
* [44]Lagos, NG
* [45]Tunis, TN

October 9, 2015

* [46]Montpellier, FR
* [47]Santa Cruz de la Sierra, BO

October 23, 2015

* [48]Osaka, JP

October 30, 2015

* [49]Adelaide, AU
* [50]Leeuwarden, NL
* [51]Lyon, FR

November 6, 2015

* [52]Buenos Aires, AR
* [53]Castelo Branco, PT

November 13, 2015

* [54]Eindhoven, NL
* [55]Nancy, FR

November 27, 2015

* [56]Tokyo, JP

Hacking Kickstarter For Filmmakers (Part One)

Film financing: the seemingly elusive holy grail of independent filmmaking
that we all know we need but nobody seems to know how to get. In the old
days financing meant hitting up the film markets in hopes that a
distributor would find some potential in your project amonst the thousands
of others out there, or begging for funds from private investors or equity
firms. The last decade has brought some new advances that make raising
funds for projects much more accessible to the average independent
filmmaker, and one of the most valuable of these newer methods has been
crowdfunding. Minneapolis 48HFP Producer [57]Ryan Strandjord is no stranger
to the topic--in the past two and a half years he has managed crowdfunding
campaigns for two different film projects and several food-industry related
projects, raising a total of over $270,000 primarily through Kickstarter.
We talked to Ryan this week and he shared some of his best tips on how
indepedent filmmakers can hack Kickstarter to raise funds and build an
audience for their projects.

48HFP: You've successfully raised funds for multiple projects over the last
couple of years. Can you tell us-what are the pros and cons to raising
money via crowdfunding versus through conventional financing?

Stranjord: Some filmmakers feel like there is a stigma with using
crowdfunding because the conventional wisdom was that you "need" to have
traditional investors for your film. But with that route it's kind of
putting all of your eggs in one basket--financiers want to see a return on
their investment, so a lot of times filmmakers lose creative license
because the funders want to have a say in what happens with the film. Film
financing is pure mathematics--there's a profit or there isn't, and if
there isn't then they don't want to support this or future projects.

Crowdfunding is something that is really a long term strategy. Every
filmmaker should run a crowdfunding campaign, even if you're fully funded.
What you're really doing is finding your audience, and learning how to
speak to them about your projects. It can be scary, but it's an essential
skill to learn as an independent filmmaker today.
In crowfunding your audience wants you to succeed. People fund projects
because they believe in them and the person that is creating them, so it's
a great way to find out who it is exactly that's going to be interested in
the project and connect with them early on in the process. It also gives
you a chance to see what things people are reacting to so you can refine
your verbiage to make sure it resonates with that audience. You do need to
put yourself out there-sometimes it's hard to ask for money from friends
and family, but it's a great way to build momentum on a project so others
will want to fund it as well.

48HFP: There are a handful of crowdfunding platforms out there now
including IndieGoGo and Kickstarter--is there a particular one that you
recommend, and why?

Strandjord: I've used both--IndieGoGo is good because you do get to keep
all of the funds you raise, even if you don't hit your goal. I used that to
raise money for festival submissions for a short film project because we
knew that even if we didn't hit the goal we would just use whatever money
we did raise to submit to as many different festivals as possible.
Kickstarter on the other hand is all or nothing--if you don't hit your
goal, you don't get any of the money. But I prefer Kickstarter because it's
still the platform that brings in the most money. In fact, Kickstarter is
pretty much synonymous with the term crowdfunding in general. There's a
bigger audience and it's a name that people are familiar with. Also, the
press is very familiar with Kickstarter so there's a much greater chance of
getting media coverage that will get you highlighted with even more
exposure for the project.

48HFP: How have you used social media paired with Kickstarter helped you to
raise funds?

Strandjord: The first step is always to make sure you listen and do your
research. Be objective about where you're at in your career, and try to
seek out filmmakers that are in a similar place or find campaigns for other
projects similar to what you're doing. Sometimes filmmakers don't really
understand their market value, which can be a big problem if the amount of
money you're trying to raise doesn't really match up with your body of work
and experience. Find similar projects and dissect what worked and what
didn't work for them when it comes to raising funds.

It's a necessity to hit up your social media audience and your personal
contacts when crowdfunding. Actually list by name the people who you think
will donate to your project, and how much you think they'll contribute.
Also write down the best way to contact them, whether that's by email, a
text message, or in person at an event. Make sure you can explain why you
think each of these people will be interested in the project, and think
through what you are going to do in order to stand out to them.

Check back next month as Ryan gives out specific tips on what perks are
best to offer funders, what stage you should start to raise money, and his
specific timeline and tips for raising money on Kickstarter in Hacking
Kickstarter For Filmmakers (Part Two).

Ryan Stranjord is a Minneapolis based filmmaker, producer, crowdfunder, and
community organizer. He has raised over $270K in funding over the last
couple of years in crowdfunding campaigns. Ryan is the Minneapolis 48HFP
Producer and was previously the Education Director for the Twin Cities Film
Fest, Education Coordinator for the Out Twins Cities Film Festival, the
Film Programmer for IFP Cinema Lounge, and a staff member of the Twin
Cities Actor Expo. Learn all about Ryan and his projects
at [58]http://www.ryanstrandjord.com.

Get Social!
[59] [png]          [60] [png]           [61] [instagram-icon.png]

View web version