[IMC] Concert at IMC, Charlie King Sunday April 26th 7pm

Ed Hawkes oltime1 at att.net
Sun Mar 29 10:17:52 EDT 2015

I would appreciate being able to get some publicity out about this concert. Charlie King is a wonderful performer, and political satirist. Below is a press release about his concert at the IMC. Please forward to as many people as possible. Thanks
CHARLIE KING MUSICALSTORYTELLER, FOLK MUSICIAN AT IMC

Charlie King has been at the heart of American Folk Musicfor the past half century and has been writing songs for the past 40 years.Honors include "Indie" award for one of the top three folk recordingsof 1984, the War Resisters League's 1998 Peacemaker Award given to Charlie andOdetta, and the 199 Sacco-Vanzetti Social Justice Award for which he wasnominated by Pete Seeger.

Charlie will be performing in Urbana on Sunday April 26th atthe Urbana Champaign Independent Media Center, 202 South Broadway. Theperformance will start at 7pm and there is a $10 suggested donation at thedoor.

The songs that Charlie has written have been performed byPete Seeger, Holly Near, Ronnie Gilbert, John McCutcheon, Arlo Guthrie, PeggySeeger, and Chad Mitchell. His central vision as an entertainer is to leave theaudience with a sense of optimism and possibility about the future. "I tryto cover a broad emotional landscape in my concerts. The stories that I write,collect, and perform take the listener on a journey of humor, heartache andhope. What I most value in a song is the way it helps us see an old reality ina totally new light."

Musical influences in his life cited by Charlie are the folkrevival of the 1960's, the civil rights movement and the Vietnam War era. Folklegend Peggy Seeger says, "If we had more Charlie Kings in the world I'dbe less worried," and Tom Paxton adds, "Luckily, we have him."Pete Seeger called Charlie, "One of the finest singers and songwriters ofour time."

Please call 217-493-4654, or email oltime1 at att.net,  for more information about the performance. Charlie'swebsite is www.charlieking.org.