[IMC] 48HFP Newsletter - The Cannes Report!

48 Hour Film Project markandliz at 48hourfilm.com
Thu May 28 13:21:25 EDT 2015

48 Hour Film Project Newsletter
May 2015
Editor: Brian Bowers

[1][jpeg]

May 48HFP Newsletter

48HFP-The Cannes Report!

48HFP Partnership with Jerusalem Film Workshop

Quick Tip: Take Away Light For Better Outdoor Shots

48HFP Movie Gallery

Upcoming Tour Dates

Les Parasites Wins Big In Four 48HFP 2014 Cities!

48HFP-The Cannes Report!

48HFP filmmakers pose for a group shot at Cannes

Just a couple of weeks ago some of world's most reknowned directors,
actors, celebrities, and 48HFP filmmakers traveled to France to attend the
most high-profile film event on the planet--Cannes Film Festival. 48HFP
Co-Founder and Executive Producer Liz Langston attended the festival along
with almost 40 of our 48HFP filmmakers, where they went to parties,
attended film screenings, and hobnobbed with celebrities on the red carpet.
Here is Liz's report back from Cannes:

Liz Langston reports back from Cannes

Liz Langston here – 48HFP Co-Founder, reporting on the 48HFP filmmakers at
Cannes.  Each year we screen our very top 48 Hour Films at Cannes and this
year 14 very talented groups of filmmakers have the opportunity to attend
the world’s premier film festival.  They have turned one weekend of
filmmaking into a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

A little known fact is that Cannes tickets are available only to film
professionals and can’t be purchased by the public.  Our filmmakers, with
their Cannes Accreditation (badges) had access to one of the most exclusive
festivals on the planet.  This year the filmmakers joined forces, and under
the excellent party guidance of Richard Schut, our Netherlands Producer,
attended parties and networking events, checked out the film market, and of
course saw the occasional film.  During Cannes the evenings didn’t end
until the early morning hours – sometimes not until the sun came up!

The Cannes Film Festival experience is truly one of the most memorable
events of a lifetime, one that we hope all of our 48HFP filmmakers can one
day have. Need some inspiration? Watch the official 48HFP Cannes selections
[2]here.

48HFP Partnership With Jerusalem Film Workshop

[3][jpeg]

Israeli Oscar contenders will partner up with film industry leaders for the
upcoming [4]Jerusalem Film Workshop. This six week intensive workshop is
the first high-level film training program of its kind to be based in
Israel. In the 2014 inaugural workshop filmmakers attended from the U.S.,
United Kingdom, China, India, and other countries around the world.
Co-founded by our Israel 48HFP producer Gal Greenspan, this year's JFW
instructors include  director and Academy Award nominee [5]Tom Shoval (Aya)
alongside some of the top filmmakers, cinematographers, and producers from
Israel. In addition, JFW participants will have the opportunity to create
two short films through the workshop which will then screen at this year's
Jewish Film Festival.

The 2015 JFW takes place June 28th - August 7th, and registration is
currently open to filmmakers aged 18-26 at
[6]http://www.jerusalemfilmworkshop.com. Through a special partnership with
the JFW, the $90 application fee will be waived for any of our 48HFP
filmmakers interested in attending. Spots are limited so apply now for free
on the [7]JFW website.

Image from [8]this video by Stillmotion

Quick Tip: Take away light for better outdoor shots
This month's quick tip comes from Alexander Fox's [9]Crew Of One blog. Most
of the U.S. is headed into the long, hot days of summer--nice weather means
plenty of outdoor shoots. But that  glaring summer sun also brings with it
things like blown highlights, weird shadows, and lens flares. The
traditional solution to dealing with these outdoor natural lighting issues
would be to add more lights to counter-balance the sun. However, on days
where the sun is particularly strong that could require a lot of additional
lights, which isn't always practical or budget-friendly. So Fox prefers the
opposite approach: setting up umbrellas, light diffusion panels, or other
light-blocking modifiers to shield the subject from the direct light of the
sun. Not only will this cut down on the harsh direct sunlight, the umbrella
and light panels also help to diffuse the light, giving your subject a much
softer, more flattering look. This technique is called subtractive
lighting, and it's simple enough that even a small crew could set up the
shot very quickly using minimal equipment. Impromptu light modifiers can
even be made using something as simple as [10]ripstop nylon and PVC, or
even a bed sheet. Fox does offer one small warning--umbrellas and light
panels can easily fly away or tip over on a windy day, so make sure you use
sandbags or weights to secure the equipment--or enlist the help of a
friend.

Read Fox's full article at
[11]http://crewofone.com/2013/subtractive-lighting-the-secret-to-outdoor-po
rtraits/

"The Fine Artists" by Jo-Jo the Dog FilmsFour Points Film Project 2014

[12]

"EVT" by Anonymous Productions St. Louis, MO 48HFP 2014

[13]

48HFP Movie Gallery

"Soldier 888" by M 23Beirut, LB 48HFP 2014

[14][jpeg]

[15][jpeg]

[16]Upcoming Tour Dates

Below is the most recent batch of upcoming cities on this year's 48HFP
tour. Over the next few weeks we'll be visiting many of our "veteran" 48HFP
cities such as New York, Baltimore, and St. Louis in the U.S. as well as
international cities like Katowice, Israel, and Dijon. We also welcome
Brussells, a new city for 2015, as well as Lisbon, returning after a two
year hiatus. There are still a number of cities that are still finalizing
their tour dates, so visit [17]http://48hourfilm.com/locations so you can
get the most up to date information for all of our 48HFP cities on this
year's tour. Don't see your city's name on our tour list? Email us
at [18]newcities at 48hourfilm.com to see if we can add it.

May 29, 2015
* [19]Cincinnati, OH
* [20]Dijon, FR
* [21]Kansas City, MO
* [22]Katowice, PL
* [23]New York, NY
* [24]Saint Louis, MO

June 5, 2015
* [25]Inland Empire, CA
* [26]Jacksonville, FL
* [27]Minneapolis, MN

June 12, 2015
* [28]Atlanta, GA
* [29]Austin, TX
* [30]Baltimore, MD
* [31]Miami, FL
* [32]Milwaukee, WI
* [33]Salt Lake City, UT

June 19, 2015
* [34]Asheville, NC
* [35]Lisbon, PT

June 24, 2015
* [36]Israel, IL

June 26, 2015
* [37]Brussels, BE

July 10, 2015
* [38]Berlin, DE
* [39]Cleveland, OH
* [40]Detroit, MI
* [41]Greensboro, NC
* [42]Las Vegas, NV
* [43]Little Rock, AR
* [44]Pittsburgh, PA
* [45]San Francisco, CA
* [46]Seattle, WA

July 17, 2015
* [47]Providence, RI
* [48]Richmond, VA
* [49]Savannah, GA

July 24, 2015
* [50]Albuquerque, NM
* [51]Columbus, OH
* [52]Dallas, TX
* [53]Des Moines, IA
* [54]Louisville, KY
* [55]New Orleans, LA
* [56]San Diego, CA

July 31, 2015
* [57]Denver, CO
* [58]Indianapolis, IN
* [59]New Haven, CT
* [60]Portland, OR

August 7, 2015
* [61]Buffalo, NY
* [62]Los Angeles, CA
* [63]Lynchburg, VA

August 14, 2015
* [64]San Antonio, TX

August 21, 2015
* [65]Madison, WI
* [66]Rotterdam, NL

September 18, 2015
* [67]Toulouse, FR

September 25, 2015
* [68]Paris, FR
* [69]Warsaw, PL

October 2, 2015
* [70]Bratislava, SK
* [71]Curaçao
* [72]Tunis, TN

October 9, 2015
* [73]Montpellier, FR

October 30, 2015
* [74]Lyon, FR

November 6, 2015
* [75]Castelo Branco, PT

November 13, 2015
* [76]Nancy, FR

Les Parasites and French 48HFP producer Olivier Dussausse show off their
awards at this year's Filmapalooza

Les Parasites wins big in four 48HFP cities!

We know it takes a lot of creativity, tehnical skill, and tenacity to win
Best Film in one of our 48HFP cities, but to win in four different cities
in the same year? It seems like a nearly impossible filmmaking feat but it
was succefully pulled off by the team Les Parasites, who walked away with
the Best Film title in four different French cities in our 2014 tour. Les
Parasites are a group of friends who met in the same cinema school a few
years ago. They call their team "Les Parasites" as a tongue in cheek
reference--when they entered their first 48HFP in Paris in 2013, they
thought they would be the "bugs" of the contest. They competed in the 48HFP
just for the fun of it, and had no intentions of winning any awards amongst
the 149 other French teams vying for the Best Film title. Les Parasites had
so much fun competing in the Paris 48HFP that they immediately registered
to compete in the Lyon 48HFP, before the Paris awards were even announced.
Shortly after the awards in each city were announced, and the team walked
away with Best Directing in Paris and Best Film in Lyon. The team went to
Filmapalooza in 2014 to represent their winning Lyon film, and it was there
that they hatched their master plan--to do a "48HFP Tour" and compete in
all of the 48HFP cities in France! Their hard work (and long weekends) paid
off as they won Best Film in 4 out of the 5 cities they entered in the 2014
tour (Dijon, Lyon, Montpellier, and Tours). Les Parasites traveled to
Hollywood for our most recent Filmapalooza, where they also won nominations
for Best Directing, Best Actress, and Best Casting, and won the
international 48HFP awards for Best Writing, Best Actor, Best Use Of the
Character, and Runner-Up for Best Film. Their success in multiple 48HFP
cities and at Filmapalooza has introduced them to many new film industry
connections from all around the world, as well as a plethora of
opportunities to produce other films. What's the next step for Les
Parasites? Only time will tell, though we expect it will involve many great
new projects and of course many more fantastic 48HFP films.

Get Social!
[77] [png]          [78] [png]           [79] [instagram-icon.png]

View web version