[IMC] Working for change near Ferguson

Shan Cretin, AFSC actioncenter at afsc.org
Mon Nov 16 09:35:32 EST 2015

American Friends Service Committee

The Change Maker Matching Gift Challenge

DOUBLE YOUR GIFT FOR CHANGE:  https://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/50601/p/salsa/donation/common/public/?donate_page_KEY=12426&tag=201511CMEmail2&lgacf=0.00

=========================

Dear Friend,

Jelani Brown has felt the sting of racism and prejudice firsthand. Having grown up in the St. Louis area, not far from strife-torn Ferguson, Jelani has personally witnessed police violence and contended with institutional systems of oppression.

As an intern with AFSC's Youth Undoing Institutional Racism (YUIR) program in St. Louis, Jelani is using his talents as a graphic artist and organizer to end violence in his community, build hope, and effect change. I'm sure you agree that change makers like Jelani, plus tens of thousands of others whose work has been inspired by AFSC, are making a difference in our world.

You can be a change maker, too, through your financial support of AFSC's work. The change-making impact of your generosity can be doubled thanks to a generous funder who will match every dollar donated up to $1 million. Our goal is to raise the full amount by November 30; please help us reach that goal. Donate today to have your gift doubled!: https://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/50601/p/salsa/donation/common/public/?donate_page_KEY=12426&tag=201511CMEmail2&lgacf=0.00

Your gift will support change makers like Jelani, who is committed to promoting meaningful and sustained youth engagement in society. He believes in the power of organizing. "As organizers, we go back into our communities. We hold different events that we bring life and love to. After we build that base, then we can start to organize around issues. Then we can say, 'Okay, police are killing our kids, what can we do about it?' You find people from the community who you organize, and you run them for city council, you run them for school board, and then that entire group supports them and holds them accountable."

Jelani acknowledges that, from time to time, he questions whether entrenched racism can ever be reversed. But then he's reminded through his daily work that people have the power to change the world. As he puts it, "Humans can achieve the impossible if they work together."

Jelani's actions and visions for change inspire me. I hope he inspires you, too. You can help create the change Jelani is working for by donating today. And remember your gift today will be matched dollar-for-dollar. Click here: https://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/50601/p/salsa/donation/common/public/?donate_page_KEY=12426&tag=201511CMEmail2&lgacf=0.00

Help us reach our goal of raising the full match by November 30.

Sincerely,

Shan Cretin
General Secretary
American Friends Service Committee