[IMC] FCC votes for Prison Phone Justice!

Brian Dolinar briandolinar at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 21:50:55 EDT 2015

Dear supporters of #PhoneJustice!

We're happy to share the news that we successfully won significantly lower
rates for phone call from prisons and jails in the United States. The FCC
voted last Thursday to regulate this long unchecked exploitation of those
incarcerated and their families. Thanks for helping to make this dream a
reality!

In a nutshell, the FCC approved rates at 11 cents a minute for federal and
state prisons. Jails are capped at 14-22 cents a minute. The FCC did not
address commissions. In the coming year, we will be taking up a state bill
to end commissions in Illinois. Currently, the state is collecting at least
$13 million a year from commissions aka "kickbacks." We will be reaching
out to you to stop this legalized bribery scheme.

We had lots of wonderful press in the last week. There's a list of links
below. Please share on social media to let your friends know you support
#PhoneJustice.

For a summary, you can read this story
<http://www.truth-out.org/opinion/item/33435-children-with-incarcerated-parents-played-key-role-in-phone-justice-victory>
I wrote for Truthout about the campaign, and watch a video
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz5IG2YRWhY> featuring Champaign's own
Wandjell Harvey-Robinson.

Stay tuned, we're planning a victory party in the coming weeks!

Thank you for helping to spread the word!

Peace, BD

www.nytimes.com/2015/10/26/opinion/fcc-makes-telephone-calls-for-inmates-cheaper.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/prison-phone-costs-fcc-obama_5628f5f0e4b0443bb562d907

CU's own Wandjell Harvey-Robinson featured by Al-Jazeera:
http://america.aljazeera.com/watch/shows/live-news/2015/10/prison-phone-call-price-gouging-is-over.html

NPR story featuring Miguel Saucedo, UIUC PHD and Chicago activist:

http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=450464766&m=450464767

Kevin Reese, Jr.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2015/10/22/3715033/prison-phone-rates-vote/

--