[Imcamericorps] MLK service day plans

carol ammons carolammons at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 10:32:45 CST 2010

Peace and Blessings,

Looks like things are coming together.  I won't be at today's meeting.  I'm
scheduled for a few hours but took the afternoon off to conduct a workshop
with teens at the Douglass Center this afternoon from 3 - 5 p.m.  I will
collect some of the items needed for our instruments.  I have some of the
things at home.

My question for the group is:  do we plan to meet here and go to King or
just go to King at 8 a.m.?

Carol A.

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 2:12 PM, Jacob Barton <udderbot at gmail.com> wrote:

> So,
>
> We figured out the curriculum a bit more.  2nd and 3rd grade are
> making drums, 5th grade is making balloon-saxophones.  The half-hour
> classes will go something like this:
>
> (3 min.) who we are; everybody says a few sentences about what they do
> at the IMC; Meme makes the point that we all do different things but
> work together
> (8 min.) song "If I had a hammer".  we all sing.  Kat explains a
> little of the history.  We teach, with lyric sheets.
> (2 min.) Jacob (&Carly?) something relating peace to indymedia to
> making your own instruments
> (2 min.) Katy & Emma explain what we're building
> (12 min.) making drums/flutes
> (3 min.) sing song again with improvised instrument playing
>
> Stuff to do
>
> - deliver art drive boxes to sites: []
> √ M.L. King Elementary School
> Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center
> Common Ground Food Co-op
> Lincoln Square Village
> Strawberry Fields Natural Food Store
> McKinley Presbyterian Church & Foundation
> Harmony Health Care
> The Art Coop
>
> - EVERYONE: collect supplies for instrument building: cardboard tubes
> (wrapping paper, toilet paper...), cans & tubs of different sizes,
> different fillings for shakers (beans, pebbles...)
> - Jacob: get balloons!
> - Katy: get rubber bands from post office
> - Brian: make lyric sheet & 60 copies
> - Judith: make big lyric poster
>
> Next:  meeting MONDAY 4:30 in the family room to learn the song, see
> what materials we've gathered...
>
> Phew,
> Jacob
>
> --