[Imcamericorps] MLK service day plans

Jacob Barton udderbot at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 14:12:08 CST 2010

So,

We figured out the curriculum a bit more.  2nd and 3rd grade are
making drums, 5th grade is making balloon-saxophones.  The half-hour
classes will go something like this:

(3 min.) who we are; everybody says a few sentences about what they do
at the IMC; Meme makes the point that we all do different things but
work together
(8 min.) song "If I had a hammer".  we all sing.  Kat explains a
little of the history.  We teach, with lyric sheets.
(2 min.) Jacob (&Carly?) something relating peace to indymedia to
making your own instruments
(2 min.) Katy & Emma explain what we're building
(12 min.) making drums/flutes
(3 min.) sing song again with improvised instrument playing

Stuff to do

- deliver art drive boxes to sites: []
√ M.L. King Elementary School
Common Ground Food Co-op
Lincoln Square Village
Strawberry Fields Natural Food Store
McKinley Presbyterian Church & Foundation
Harmony Health Care
The Art Coop

- EVERYONE: collect supplies for instrument building: cardboard tubes
(wrapping paper, toilet paper...), cans & tubs of different sizes,
different fillings for shakers (beans, pebbles...)
- Jacob: get balloons!
- Katy: get rubber bands from post office
- Brian: make lyric sheet & 60 copies
- Judith: make big lyric poster

Next:  meeting MONDAY 4:30 in the family room to learn the song, see
what materials we've gathered...

Phew,
Jacob

believed to be clean.