[Imcamericorps] IMC-OMNIA

Jacob Barton udderbot at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 17:26:43 CDT 2011

Dear IMC Americorps,

I'm writing to solicit each your participations in IMC-OMNIA, an recurring
event that (we hope) becomes a vital part of the UCIMC's ongoing offerings
to the Urbana-Champaign community.

Attached below is our current version of what we think IMC-OMNIA is.  To
this specific group, I'd like to mention some additional details:

   - This event is about promoting & fundraising for the IMC as a whole made
   up of unique and interconnected parts.
   - This event is also about anything else we bring to it.
    Non-IMC-proper-affiliated groups are welcome.
   - The IMC was originally conceived as a bustling place where unrelated
   groups *bump up against* one another in fruitful ways.  In practice, it
   often can be an empty and isolating place to work.  IMC-OMNIA tries to
   address this by trying to *fill the building* with people and projects,
   all in the same chaotic window of time!
   - This event *is about everything we already do*, but crunched up into a
   24-hour period, with an emphasis on the most *awesome* aspects of what we
   do.  Please don't think of it as an additional burden, but as an opportunity
   to be in good company while working on what you're passionate about.
   - This event can be thought of as a unique opportunity for volunteer
   mobilization, if you're interested in that sort of thing.
   - This event *isn't* limited to strictly artistic projects.  Letter
   writing campaigns, IMC vs. Post Office ping-pong tournaments, all-night B2P
   sessions welcome!

A group of mostly-SDaS folks has begun organizing the next IMC-OMNIA,
scheduled for *6pm April 22 to 6pm April 23*.

Some details are still in the works, but for the time being, here are some
ways to participate, from smallest to largest:

   how glad you are this is happening.
   - Plan to come to IMC-OMNIA with your friends!
   - Come up with a great idea for what should happen at
IMC-OMNIA...*and*who could possibly commit to coordinating it.
   - Let me know you will coordinate a project with a public component
   (anything from 5 minutes to 24 hours in length is welcome).
   - Help organize IMC-OMNIA itself.  Join our Google
group<https://groups.google.com/group/imc-omnia-steering-committee> or
   message imc.omnia at gmail.com (I know, yuck!)

Thank you for all that you do,
Jacob Barton

http://jacobbarton.net/

-----

What is IMC-OMNIA?

     IMC-Omnia is a not-for-profit 24-hour temporary community arts colony,
a recurring event providing space & time for community members to work on
creative projects together at the Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center
(UC-IMC). Whether you want to compose an opera, build a custom bike, write &
perform a play, start a new political party, hack your iPod, or just
participate in someone else’s design, IMC-Omnia is the 24-hour creation
place for you!

Since our inception 10 years ago, the UC-IMC has been an innovative player
in the Champaign-Urbana community. We operate a 30,000 sq. ft. Community
Media & Arts Center in at the historic downtown Urbana post office. With
IMC-Omnia, we hope to highlight the sharing of creativity as a
community-building tool. We want to provide a safe & welcoming space for the
passionate sharing of skills & talents, stories & songs, dances & food,
architectural designs & radio waves. IMC-Omnia involves listening to one
other and working together; we want to transform the UC-IMC into an
intensive zone of dialogue, motivation, and creativity.

We welcome the greater Urbana-Champaign community to join us in this effort.
IMC-Omnia is a 24-hour long event, made possible by thousands of hours of
volunteer work. The UC-IMC has the potential to revitalize our community, to
encourage and celebrate our desires & projects. We hope for this energy to
be a permanent, visible, irresistible, and positive force in the life of the
community into the future.

----

*vat of un-confirmed project ideas*

which projects make good neighbors?

Johnson solids

drums - get all of the drum sets we can find.

musical contact improv zone -- installation???

micro UNCONFERENCE

acting types - 24 hour play festival? ? ?

the band of 10-year-olds

UDDERBOT flash mob

nude modeling

tall bikes/welding workshop

experimental debate club

LGBT movie marathon

sauerkraut making / eat the fruits of fermentation at the next IMC-OMNIA