[Imcamericorps] [Imc-tenants] [IMC] upstairs piano

leon mcgee leonmcgeeamericorps at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 17:40:34 CDT 2011

Thanks Jacob.

Everyone else:

 I sent a email about what items were a concern on the main floor. Mike was
the first to give a idea about what to do with the items (his ideas are in
red). I sent a second email saying I am giving until Monday or Tuesday of
next week to give me your thoughts. otherwise I will go with what Mike had
said to do. So please, let stay focus on what the original email had to say.

 The things we think are clearly in the way or that appear to have no home:
     - the rolling table/cart by the fridge
dispose

      - the art just behind it

put above PO with other art

     - the air hockey table

Not sure on this one...

      - the trash and broken or odd chairs around and on top of the cabinet
by the ladders

dispose

     - the big brown tables

Couldn't locate these...

      - the large white marker boards

Save, put above PO with other art

     - the huge painting behind the white boards, and anything behind it

Might be Chris E's, but put above PO with other art

      - the very unstable coat rack behind the brown tables

Dispose

 Things that just seem to take up space
     - the single locker behind the black chairs, by the door to the
sun-room

Goes with other lockers, we need to locate a space for all of them, probably
on  first floor, but not sure where. That'll make them visible and available
for rent or assignment to working groups.

      - the huge brown cabinet under the trash and odd chairs

That's a Fairbanks-Morse scale. We might be able to sell it, but that'll be
a project. Stays for now.

      - the black, open-backed cabinet behind the ladders

That's something that may eventually be used by WRFU, Shows or Production,
but open to suggestions on what to do with it for now. It's way heavy, so
can't be put above PO with other art.

     - the window frames and panels and stuff

Not sure, those were on the windows on the east side of the stage. Worth
saving? If so, then put above PO with other art. Otherwise, sell.

      - everything around the piano and the supply closet

File cabinets should be stored for future use, maybe in Room 26 for now.
Other stuff can go.

     - since it's not tuned, the piano

Someone needs to take responsibility for it. If not, then sell or dispose.

      - the water fountain in the library/computer lab that doesn't work

Can be removed, recycled and the pipes capped. That's a project for both of
us when we can get together.

 Things we simply personally think could use a new home
     - the blue peace sign

  now. Either put above PO with otDepends. It's classic, but also pretty
tattered byher art or dispose.

      - the huge black table that exists only to hold up the blue peace sign

Not sure where?

      - the broken down boxes by the typewriter

Offer to BtP or recycle

      - the pamphlet rack by the fridge

Someone moved them already?

      - the wood mounted to the wall by the sound system that serves as a
table

Leave be. This is often used by Shows and other large events.

 Undecided
     - the ping pong table... I know this is occasionally used

Durl says don't move his cheese...Well, maybe not, but it is regularly used,
I think.

 Think we should get back, at least for now
     - the two-level table that was moved to the maintenance closet
downstairs;
       since Austin was put out of the finance office, it's what he uses for
a desk.

I hope at steering last night that everyone understood that the old/new
rules for moving things out of the hallways, etc. apply to all floors of the
building.

Now please don't take this the wrong way. I understand that some of these
items have been here and now I am sure your wondering why its a problem now.
It may not have been a problem in the past, but with

   - more a more events happening, we are having the issue of always having
   to move stuff around. Which may then get in the way of someone else. The
   fact that if,
   - Time is Money, well Space is too.
   - Also, we are really short on storage space and things that really need
   storage are taken up by someones personal keeping or what I believe it seems
   that over time some items are kept because someone thought it could be used
   for some project or art thing, then 6 months later the items are collecting
   dust, maybe we remember who kept it, and the reason for keeping the item(s)
   not in the works anymore or just plain forgotten.

This here is a bad habit. People look at this place as there home which in
my opinion should not be the case, but seeing that some use this place as a
second home for a "FREE" storage place. We should try to make a area of the
IMC for persons belonging. This was mentioned last night at steering. We
should move forward with this. Plus it will help with securing these items
that some may want to leave here.
After all, what is FREE storage with out FREE security. And heck, if storage
is free, then the proposal for a meeting room should be FREE.

Just kidding! Being sarcastic. Needed to laugh at something this morning.
Nothing is free in this world and it doesn't necessarily have to be money.

--
Building Coordinator
Leon McGee
Leonmcgeeamericorps at gmail.com