[Imcamericorps] Query Re: Capacity Building

carol ammons carolammons at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 12:14:08 CST 2011

Good afternoon Members,

some actual language.  Even still, I'm certain there are exceptions and
questions that will continue to arise.  Just keep in mind that AmeriCorps
members can only complete up to 10% of their time in this category.  Please
read the following language and send me your specific questions.

I hope this helps.

Here is the official language regarding capacity building.
§ 2520.20   What service activities may I support with my grant?

(2) Performing capacity-building activities that improve the organizational
and financial capability of nonprofit organizations and communities to meet
local needs by achieving greater organizational efficiency and
effectiveness, greater impact and quality of impact, stronger likelihood of
successful replicable, or expanded scale.

20.30   What capacity-building activities may AmeriCorps members perform?

Capacity-building activities that AmeriCorps members perform should enhance
the mission, strategy, skills, and culture, as well as systems, *
infrastructure*, and human resources of an organization that is meeting
unmet community needs. Capacity-building activities help an organization
gain greater *independence and sustainability.*

(a) The AmeriCorps members you support under your grant may perform
capacity-building activities that advance your program's goals and that are
included in, or consistent with, your Corporation-approved grant
application.

(b) Examples of capacity-building activities your members may perform
include, but are not limited to, the following:

(1) Strengthening volunteer management and recruitment, including:

 Helping an organization develop an effective volunteer management system;

 Organizing service days and other events in the community to increase
citizen engagement;

 Promoting retention of volunteers by planning recognition events or
providing ongoing support and follow-up to ensure that volunteers have a
high-quality experience; and

 Assisting an organization in reaching out to individuals and communities of
different backgrounds when encouraging volunteering to ensure that a breadth
of experiences and expertise is represented in service activities.

(2) Conducting outreach and *securing resources in support of service
activities* that meet specific needs in the community;

(3) Helping build the infrastructure of the sponsoring organization,
including:

(i) Conducting research, mapping community assets, or gathering other
information that will strengthen the sponsoring organization's ability to
meet community needs;

(ii) Developing new programs or services in a sponsoring organization
seeking to expand;

(iii) Developing *organizational systems* to improve efficiency and
effectiveness;

(iv) Automating organizational operations to improve efficiency and
effectiveness;

(v) Initiating or expanding revenue-generating operations directly in
support of service activities; and

(vi) Supporting staff and board education.

(4) Developing collaborative relationships with other organizations working
to achieve similar goals in the community, such as:

(i) Community organizations, including faith-based organizations;

(ii) Foundations;

(iii) Local government agencies;

(iv) Institutions of higher education; and

(v) Local education agencies or organizations.

--
Carol Ammons-Program Director
Americorps/UCIMC