[Imcamericorps] Open Studio Sat - 505 S Race St Apt 2

Aaron Johnson-Ortiz aajohnsonortiz at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 17:28:17 CDT 2011

Dear Friends

Please join me anytime tomorrow for an open studio exhibit at my apartment, which is located only 2 blocks away from the farmers market in Urbana.  I'll provide snacks and refreshment.  More info below.  Please forward.

Sincerely,
--aaron

"EXILE & UTOPIA" - (work in progress)
Open Studio at 505 S Race St Apt 2, Urbana
Saturday, July 9, 2011, 10AM-4PM

"Exile & Utopia" is a semi-fictional illustrated novel that traces the journey of a group of exiled Mexican journalists in the early twentieth century. The journalists escape repression through the American South and Midwest, connect with local organizers in St. Louis, Missouri, flee to Canada on the railroad through Champaign, and attempt to launch an ultimately failed revolution in Mexico from El Paso, Texas.  A century later, "Exile & Utopia" retraces this failed precursor of the Mexican Revolution of 1910 with photographs of the erased historic sites where the group hid and worked, a narrative based on intercepted correspondence and private detective notes, and abstract drawings that chart the growth and constriction of the movement.  The Open Studio Saturday on July 9, 2011, exhibits illustrations, photographs, and some text.  This project is supported by the CIty of Urbana through an Urbana Arts Grant.

Artist Bio:  Aaron Johnson-Ortiz grew up shuttling between southern Mexico, where he worked as a volunteer artist with Zapatista cooperatives, and the American Midwest, where he participates in immigrant rights' movements.  His work retracing the exiled precursors of the Mexican Revolution in the United States was born of a desire to retell and reactivate the long but erased history of solidarity and common struggle between the two regions.