[Livingwage] great job on Friday

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 14 17:43:59 CST 2006

I just wanted to let everybody know what a tremendous
and unexpected SUCCESS we had last Friday at the
Building Trades picket line in from of the Tatman’s
hotel site -- and say THANKS to everyone who turned
out at a time of day that wasn’t really convenient for
most people.  And to folks who helped in other ways.

We added 25 people to the union picket line in the end
-- and a lot of extra visibility during the lunch hour
traffic!  The union electricians who had been
picketing since early morning got a real boost.

Their leaders were pretty happy, too.  They had been
looking forward to maybe half a dozen community
members turning out in support, and they made sure
they had the big rat there with them in appreciation
of those few expected supporters.

Then here we came, TWO DOZEN of us, students and
retirees, academics and townies, union staff,
rank-and-file members and assorted supporters, with
our own signs, filling in the sidewalk all along the
fence!  They were bowled over.

But that’s what Jobs With Justice is all about, right?
 Action.  Solidarity.  Community.  It’s that pledge to
be there to support one another when we need it, to
“leave our wars at the door” and to stick together
against greedy corporate assaults.  We just have to
keep it up.

I think it was a great day, great weather, great
solidarity, and a great start to building some real
solidarity.  It was the kind of thing that will
encourage others to join us when they hear about it.
It‘s long overdue, and I think we should do it again
-- real soon.  What do you think?