[Livingwage] Re: Living Wage, CCNH

Belden Fields a-fields at uiuc.edu
Tue Sep 12 16:11:10 CDT 2006

Hello All,

	I have been doing some research on the Living Wage and the use of
St. Louis and Milwaukee to justify paying Nursing Home Employees less
than what a family of four needs to remain just at the poverty line.

First, I want to point out that the Living Wage ordinances in both
cities apply only to private businesses that receive money from
taxpayer-funded contracts or that are getting publicly funded
assistance.  I will have to do more research, but I doubt that any
employees of the cities themselves are getting less than a living
wage set at a family of four.  In our county, we are talking about
public employees.  It seems to me that public bodies ought to be
setting the example for private employers, not to be paying Walmart
wages.

Second, while it is true that St. Louis sets the level at a family of
three, they also set the percentage of it at 130%.  So, in St. Louis,
the living wage for a worker in 2006 would be $22,133 ($16,600 for a
family of three, plus $5,533 for the additional 30%).  That is MORE
than the $20,000 for a family of 4.

It is true that St. Louis offers the lowest Living Wage of any city
that has adopted it.  But remember, we are talking about public
employees, while Milwaukee is applying it only to the private sector
that contracts with the city or gets public subsidies.

Belden